Lucid Motors Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Adnillien, since you're an engineer, I have a few questions for you. In his recent article on his 1-100% DC charging test of a Lucid Dream R, Tom Moloughney says Lucid engineers told him that there are no buffers in the 118-kWh battery pack and that 100% of the pack capacity is user accessible. He added that is why Lucid recommends only charging to 80% for daily use.

My questions are: does charging up to 100% capacity (as Lucid does for delivery) cause accelerated deterioration of the battery? Or is there something about the "proprietary chemistry" Lucid referred to in 2016 about the Samsung cell make it resistant to dendrite formation or other forms of cell deterioration? And can a user "brick" the battery if it runs down to 0% indicated in the car? Did Lucid depart from normal practice -- and its associated safety reasons -- in having no buffers in order to get its record-breaking range, or could it reflect a sound engineering choice?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Adnillien, since you're an engineer, I have a few questions for you. In his recent article on his 1-100% DC charging test of a Lucid Dream R, Tom Moloughney says Lucid engineers told him that there are no buffers in the 118-kWh battery pack and that 100% of the pack capacity is user accessible. He added that is why Lucid recommends only charging to 80% for daily use.

My questions are: does charging up to 100% capacity (as Lucid does for delivery) cause accelerated deterioration of the battery? Or is there something about the "proprietary chemistry" Lucid referred to in 2016 about the Samsung cell make it resistant to dendrite formation or other forms of cell deterioration? And can a user "brick" the battery if it runs down to 0% indicated in the car? Did Lucid depart from normal practice -- and its associated safety reasons -- in having no buffers in order to get its record-breaking range, or could it reflect a sound engineering choice?
Unfortunately I am a semiconductor engineer rather than a battery engineer. I only know some of the basics with respect to batteries. Your questions are great questions that we may need to ask Lucid. I was also surprised by Tom Moloughney's comment that there are no buffers to help protect the batteries. Damage to batteries will occur if they remain at a 100% or attempt to charge past 100%. Maybe Lucid has a Battery Management System (BMS) that is precise enough not to overcharge. There could be something with the Samsung chemistry that is more tolerant of a high state of charge but we do not have a good way to know. Likewise leaving a battery at 0% for a long time will cause damage but discharging to 0% and immediately recharging (slow charge) is not likely to cause damage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, the wunderbox.
I don't think the Wunderbox is it. My understanding is that the Wunderbox will do DC to AC conversion, AC to DC conversion, voltage boost and voltage buck. It does supply all of the electricity to the battery so it is related. For BMS, I was referring to methods to monitor and possible adjust every cell in the battery string. Knowing the temperature corrected voltage of each cell so that one cell does not get over charged. Method to balance cells to keep the cell voltages the same. Method to match temperatures across all cells and all modules. These techniques could have been developed for the racing batteries and are now being implemented in the Lucid Air.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I don't think the Wunderbox is it. My understanding is that the Wunderbox will do DC to AC conversion, AC to DC conversion, voltage boost and voltage buck. It does supply all of the electricity to the battery so it is related. For BMS, I was referring to methods to monitor and possible adjust every cell in the battery string. Knowing the temperature corrected voltage of each cell so that one cell does not get over charged. Method to balance cells to keep the cell voltages the same. Method to match temperatures across all cells and all modules. These techniques could have been developed for the racing batteries and are now being implemented in the Lucid Air.
Well in order for it to do this it must be a switch. If it can switch from AC to DC and vice versa. Why can't it switch off incoming power? I'm learning like all of us on the Air.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
So what do you do if you lose reception on your cell phone?
Welcome to the forum @bernie0058. In that situation you'd have to wait until you can get reception again to keep streaming SiriusXM.

But apparently there's rumors that SiriusXM will be coming in the next software update.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You can wrap a roof but be advised that the wraps most manufacturers make are various generic or specialty wraps that do not match factory colors. You may get close, but not an exact match. You would be better off to go to a quality auto body and paint the top( with all that glass and here is not much painting) there is other problems in painting stainless , you have to etch the metal first. Or is the top just painted to look like stainless?
Dip it! DYC or a pro installer (liquid wrap)
They have metal looking wraps, patterns, and textures as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I suspect Lucid will use the same bolt pattern as the Tesla, as its wheel and tire specs track Tesla (at least up until the Model S refresh, which uses larger front and rear tires). I don't know about offsets, though.

Remember two things about replacing the 19" wheels, though. The Air is considerably heavier than most sedans its size, which is why Pirelli engineered a tire specifically to handle the vehicle weight. Be sure a replacement wheel is rated for the load.

And . . . the 19" wheels are an aero design. Switching to a non-aero 19" wheel (which is mostly what the aftermarket offers) will likely diminish the car's range.

There is a European company that has developed a nice-looking aero wheel specifically for the Tesla model lineup, so it would have the load capacity and probably the correct bolt pattern for the Air. But the wheels thus far haven't been certified for the U.S., so I don't know if they would ship here:

What I can find in the Lucid 21" are 5/120 like Tesla MS. I assume the 19" and 20" are the same.
The offset I could find is 40mm

·
Registered
8 Posts
You can wrap a roof but be advised that the wraps most manufacturers make are various generic or specialty wraps that do not match factory colors. You may get close, but not an exact match. You would be better off to go to a quality auto body and paint the top( with all that glass and here is not much painting) there is other problems in painting stainless , you have to etch the metal first. Or is the top just painted to look like stainless?
Instead of a wrap, get a solid metal roof which is why I had to reserve the Touring model which hopefully will be produced next year. I currently drive a Tesla Model S 85 with a metal roof which I purchased in Sep 2013. It still drives like a rocket, and I love the off white upholstered interior roof. You get better insulation, sun protection and safety with a metal roof. I plan to keep my Tesla with 52k miles on it, free lifetime internet and free lifetime supercharging!

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Air is a great looking car but everything can be tweaked an upgraded. Is there anything in particular you'd want Lucid to chane on the Air?

For me, I'm not a fan of the two-tone look they're trying to do with the silver/chrome on the roof. I'd rather have it all match the body color.

View attachment 117
Home link takes 3 steps open home link to close garage door when leaving and turns off cameras so you cant use them backing up until you go back in D. Arriving at garage it works fine as it recognizes destination and home link opens on dash

·
Registered
5 Posts
LOL, I use Spotify, but any streaming service is better than SiriusXM. I like to customize and listen to podcasts. Don't see any value in sXM.
Our sound system has been a cluster#, does not link to Spotify downloaded playlists on phone. No tuning, seek, scan?for radio. Have been unable to play any kind of music from any media source multiple times. Hope apple car play gets here soon as we need to brink external speaker and link to phone for road trips. Was hoping we would not need satellite broadcasts. Car has amazing performance and comfort. Have had multiple lock out from media and other non driving functions (a/c, seats, mirrors etc) that required paring vehicle walking away and letting it sleep to reset. Not fun on rainy drive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Home link takes 3 steps open home link to close garage door when leaving and turns off cameras so you cant use them backing up until you go back in D. Arriving at garage it works fine as it recognizes destination and home link opens on dash
A trailer hitch for rear mounted bike rack, do not like roof rack for bikes. A big plus can fit 2 bike wheels in frunk with bike easily fitting in trunk with wheels off without needing to put down rear seats. Amazing cargo capacity- bravo

41 - 55 of 55 Posts