Lucid Motors Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, new member here. Been a long time Tesla owner with several of those cars. Have been ready for a change for quite some time. Never kept cars more than 3 years and while that's still the case, I feel like I've been looking at the same car for nearly 9 years now as Today's Tesla looks nearly the same as did my first 2013 Model S.

Hoping to hear from some actual owners that might have also come from a Tesla on how they feel about the Lucid. Happy you made the change to Lucid? or after having done so, miss the Tesla?

Received confirmation that I can now place my actual order for the Lucid and have it in about 2+ months. I'm one that's put reservations on several new EV's just to have the option since the world we live in today now requires you to know what you want for a vehicle 2+ years in advance.

Aside from being ready to look at something different, not a fan of the direction Tesla went with the Model S refresh. Hate that yoke thing and not having any physical controls for the simple things we use every day. The Model S however has always been appealing due to its air suspension, which I truly appreciate after having tried a Model 3 for 4-5 months a few years ago. Was a bit surprised that the Lucid doesn't offer air suspension. The 500 mile range however, is certainly appealing with the Lucid, not that I'll need it 98% of the time, but nice to have when you do need it.

Anyway, have to make a decision on this thing. If anybody has any random pros or cons about why I should or shouldn't order the Lucid, would love to hear them. Especially from existing owners.

How's the demand on these things? I know with many EV's right now, manufacturers can't build them fast enough. But, this being a $150K car, assume it's not through the roof as it appears to be for Rivian's trucks or several Tesla models.

Thoughts on resale value. Right now, my Tesla appears to be worth almost what I paid for it nearly 3 years ago, which is just silly, but seems to be the world we live in right now. Don't assume I can expect anywhere close to the same with the Lucid?

Thanks in advance for any feedback. I guess the fact that I'm not jumping at the opportunity immediately, after waiting quite some time since placing the deposit, is my reasoning for asking. If it really blew me away, I wouldn't be asking. Certainly a nice car. More luxurious than the Tesla. But, is it one of those "fall in love with" type of cars where you're so thankful to have finally gotten it?

OK, I'll stop rambling. Thanks again for any feedback!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have all the same questions! Especially curious how good Dream Drive is. Increased luxury of Lucid as appealing, but I rely on Autopilot constantly and it's so much better than the competition. That's a luxury too.

(I already put my order in.)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hi All, new member here. Been a long time Tesla owner with several of those cars. Have been ready for a change for quite some time. Never kept cars more than 3 years and while that's still the case, I feel like I've been looking at the same car for nearly 9 years now as Today's Tesla looks nearly the same as did my first 2013 Model S.

Hoping to hear from some actual owners that might have also come from a Tesla on how they feel about the Lucid. Happy you made the change to Lucid? or after having done so, miss the Tesla?

Received confirmation that I can now place my actual order for the Lucid and have it in about 2+ months. I'm one that's put reservations on several new EV's just to have the option since the world we live in today now requires you to know what you want for a vehicle 2+ years in advance.

Aside from being ready to look at something different, not a fan of the direction Tesla went with the Model S refresh. Hate that yoke thing and not having any physical controls for the simple things we use every day. The Model S however has always been appealing due to its air suspension, which I truly appreciate after having tried a Model 3 for 4-5 months a few years ago. Was a bit surprised that the Lucid doesn't offer air suspension. The 500 mile range however, is certainly appealing with the Lucid, not that I'll need it 98% of the time, but nice to have when you do need it.

Anyway, have to make a decision on this thing. If anybody has any random pros or cons about why I should or shouldn't order the Lucid, would love to hear them. Especially from existing owners.

How's the demand on these things? I know with many EV's right now, manufacturers can't build them fast enough. But, this being a $150K car, assume it's not through the roof as it appears to be for Rivian's trucks or several Tesla models.

Thoughts on resale value. Right now, my Tesla appears to be worth almost what I paid for it nearly 3 years ago, which is just silly, but seems to be the world we live in right now. Don't assume I can expect anywhere close to the same with the Lucid?

Thanks in advance for any feedback. I guess the fact that I'm not jumping at the opportunity immediately, after waiting quite some time since placing the deposit, is my reasoning for asking. If it really blew me away, I wouldn't be asking. Certainly a nice car. More luxurious than the Tesla. But, is it one of those "fall in love with" type of cars where you're so thankful to have finally gotten it?

OK, I'll stop rambling. Thanks again for any feedback!
How are you looking to spec your Air @xfyrdudex?

As far as resale value is concerned, if you're thinking short term there's strong value retention across the board for cars. Long term who knows with the way the chip shortages continue. Personally resale is secondary to me but it's still important to consider.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How are you looking to spec your Air @xfyrdudex?

As far as resale value is concerned, if you're thinking short term there's strong value retention across the board for cars. Long term who knows with the way the chip shortages continue. Personally resale is secondary to me but it's still important to consider.
Grand Touring @ $139,000. I think resale value in this price range is tough anyway you look at it. While it should certainly hold up bettering than a competitively priced Mercedes or BMW for now, due to limited availability and being an EV, naturally, there's a much smaller pool of potential buyers in this price range, thus demand is reduced as compared to Tesla's that sold for $90,000 to $100K new and are still commanding well into the $70's 3 years later. I was very fortunate to get my Tesla at a time when they were struggling to sell cars and had just dropped the price of the Model S to under $70,000. With options, I was around $80,000, including FSD. Shockingly, appears I can get pretty close to that for it in today's market.

The Grand Touring is only a modest discount from the Air version, unlike the variance between a Plaid and LR Tesla which is around $30,000 (was $40,000). Don't see many Plaids selling north of $130,000 on the used market. At least with the LR, the discount was substantial enough. The Plaid and LR are identical other than the power difference. So, a one level down Lucid at $140K is probably a tough sell three years from now. Might be better off waiting for the other lower priced versions to come available. Historically, among any type of vehicle, the lower priced versions generally retain their resale value better than do fully spec'd versions at the highest possible prices.

On the other hand, could likely go purchase a Rivian or Ford Lighting truck and sell them for a profit the next day or even one year from now. While price is not really a factor, I'm also one that believes in being smart, regardless of what I can afford. A LR Model S today (can't buy one though because of what they've done to the refreshed version) is likely to be worth 90% of its sale price a year from now. As soon as Lucid starts releasing the lower priced versions, the current versions will likely see about 30-40% decline in pricing over the next 3 years.

When it's for something that has that "gotta have it factor", I'll pay more for it. While the Lucid is very nice, still haven't been able to say its $40,000 nicer than a LR Tesla, given the fact that I'd also be giving up a far more advanced version of Auto Pilot, would give up the luxury of having an adjustable ride height (which comes in handy in my daily drives) and likely going to an interface that's not as mature as the Tesla is after 9 years. More luxury, better build quality, yes. Also would be giving up the Supercharger network.

Still struggling with making a decision, but each day, as much as I'm ready for something new and exciting, I seem to be falling further from going with the Lucid, for the reasons noted in my first post and this post. The arguments "for" are still tough to make at a $40K premium. But, I'll keep trying to convince myself and see if I discover something that gets me there!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’m kind of in a similar situation - have a 2021 M3, have an order in for a MS LR, and a Lucid Air Grand Touring. To order an MS LR today, with 19” wheels, white or cream interior, midnight silver paint and FSD it would cost $115,500. That is $23,500 less than my Lucid order. With a potential additional EV tax credit of $4000 over the Tesla, then the difference would be $19,500. So what am I getting for that $23,500/$19,500? For me, the 100+ more range miles (and free 3 years of charging}, faster charging time, and more luxe interior are worth it. I live in northern New Mexico and the Super Charger network isn’t too great in the Mountain West region, so the extra range is important for me at this point in time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm still on the fence to even place a reservation. I'm currently a two time Tesla owner. My current Model S has free supercharging for life, an opening panoramic sunroof, and functional FSD. My warranty expires in October, and like the original poster here, I cannot stand the Model S refresh. Blacked out trim, no sunroof, dark wheels, and that awful yoke steering wheel are all deal breakers for me. And to be quite honest, the service experience leaves quite a bit to be desired with Tesla. Certainly not at the level of a premium brand.
I have an appointment at the Lucid studio in Miami this weekend (went to West Palm Beach week before last) to see the car in a different color. They won't even let non-reservation holders take a test drive, and I'm curious to know if the Lucid has a smoother ride than my Tesla. I find the Tesla a bit too firm even with the air suspension.
Still not sure between the Grand Touring and the Touring. Touring has 406 miles of range, and massaging seats and Nappa Leather only come on the GT. To be honest I'm finding that the vegan leather in my Tesla is holding up much better than the real leather in my previous S, and vegan leather can only be ordered in the GT or base Air. Decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi,
I'm a long time Tesla owner. I bought the Model S in 2015, Then sold it in 2018 to buy the Model X. I love them both. But when they came out with the refreshed versions, I had the same thoughts as you. I would never buy a car with a yoke steering wheel. To me it makes sense for a race car on a track. Then I hate the look of the screens in all the new Tesla. It seems they have gone too far in the wrong direction as far as buttonless controls.

I have a Grand Touring on a confirmed order. When I get a clear date I will list for sale my 2018 Model X 100D with FSD (only 15000 miles) for sale. I'm still a Tesla shareholder. Lucid as well. In will miss some of the technology in the Tesla. I like watching Netflix for the rare times I am sitting in the car and not driving. I also feel Tesla made a mistake with not having Lidar as it seems every high end EV car in the world has.

I feel by now with the Model S being almost a decade old, they should have come out with a successor. They refresh models to me are just tweaks.

Thus in a few months I'll be jumping off the Tesla train and onto the Lucid train.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My current Model S has free supercharging for life

Still not sure between the Grand Touring and the Touring. Touring has 406 miles of range, and massaging seats and Nappa Leather only come on the GT.

and I'm curious to know if the Lucid has a smoother ride than my Tesla. I find the Tesla a bit too firm even with the air suspension.
I too have free supercharging on my Model S, thus the benefit of 3 years of free charging isn't really a plus for switching to the Lucid.

Not sure what year your Model S is, but the Raven Model S that came out in 2019 has the adaptive air suspension. I had older Model S cars with the original air suspension. The Raven is far superior. Didn't expect it to be, but it was a big difference. Not being a fan of the refresh, 2019 or 2020 are the last versions of the S I would consider. Already have the 2019, which is the latest version before the update. The ride quality of the Lucid is quite good, at least as good as the Raven Model S and definitely superior to the pre-Raven Air Suspensions.

I will say, the massaging seats were quite nice in the Lucid. It's a feature I've wanted and never had. The 500+ mile range of the Grand Touring is what brings the Lucid up above the Tesla. But, it is a nearly $27,000 price hike from Touring to Grand Touring. I guess the better comparison to a Long Range Model S would be the Touring at a starting price of $112,400. But, would again lose my massaging seats!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have noticed several Lucid Air's pop up on E-bay. Given, they are at pretty high price points, but don't see one that's received even a single bid, let alone, sold. I see offers going out at over $100,000 for Rivian Trucks and Ford Lightnings, but clearly the demand for the Lucid is not the same. Again, given its at a price point most people can't afford. But, I do see several Tesla's that have sold via E-bay. Combined with the prices Tesla has on their site for pre-owned Tesla's, clearly there's a much higher demand for those cars. Appearing to me that that these cars will likely take a pretty good hit in terms of resale price? Ebay is only one source, anyone see anything elsewhere that indicates otherwise?

Getting pretty close to cancelling. As nice as it is, and as much as I keep trying to talk myself into it, struggling to get there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As much as a I tried to convince myself, just couldn't get there at this time. Went ahead and finally cancelled my order for now. As Tesla did, I'm certain Lucid will continue to improve over time. For now though, Tesla's experience does win out.

My reasons for deciding to cancel at this time....
1. AP / FSD is one of the features that is near the top of my must have list. Lucid appears to have a ways to go.
2. While Lucid's 500 mile range is GREAT, it's something I wouldn't benefit from more than a couple of times per year based on my person driving needs.
2.5 Tesla's supercharger network simply can't be beat at this time. 400 miles in range vs. 500 miles in range alone isn't beneficial enough for my personal use of the vehicle.
3. I truly appreciate the adjustable suspension, including ride height adjustments I have with Tesla's air suspension.
4. I do prefer the hatchback over the trunk. Lucid almost offsets that with its far superior frunk.
5. I do appreciate the smart summon feature Tesla has. Some day, I'm sure Lucid may offer the same.

The Lucid is certainly a better looking car. It ranks higher in terms of Luxury, but doesn't rise to the level of a Mercedes. And just not enough superior to the Tesla to move the needle far enough. Model S LR is around $100K. Lucid at $140K. in my own mind, what Lucid offers, would justify about a $20K premium over the Tesla, but that's before calculating the sacrifices I'd also have to make with a Lucid (AP, charging network, less advanced & developed UI due to Tesla's 9 year head start, etc) While I'm not a fan of Tesla's new interior, the Model S still drives like a premium car. After spending 9 years going through the growing pains with Tesla, not sure I want to start over with a new company. I've just come to appreciate the features Tesla offers that Lucid isn't able to offer quite yet.

My other concern was overall demand and resale potential. Tesla, despite being 9 years experienced and building around 1,000,000 cars per year, still has a longer wait time from Reservation to Delivery than does Lucid. The fact that a new startup company is able to deliver cars so quickly is an indication of lower demand. Have also seen a few try to sell them with no action, while Tesla used cars are selling like hot cakes. A $100K Tesla probably won't lose more than 30% in 3 years. Early indications are that the Lucid will decline more in value from its higher price point.

The Lucid is a great car and the first to seriously get me to consider making a switch from Tesla, which I've wanted to do for quite some time. Unfortunately, just too soon to make the switch based on where each car is at.

I certainly wish Lucid the best and will definitely keep my eye on them. Possibly will reconsider as Lucid catches up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts