Lucid Motors Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
189 Posts
Hey @babwine welcome to the forum! If you're looking for comfort then it's better to get the 19 inche wheels on your Air. If you're looking for something sportier then the 20 or 21 inch wheels would be better.
All other things being equal (a logical fallacy), performance and comfort are at war with each other. With careful selection of tires one can mitigate the trend in either direction but physics is still physics.

· Registered
26 Posts
Did you notice in the configurator that the 20 and 21 inch are summer performance tires while the 19s are all season? The 21s will give you the best maneuvering since it will have the least sidewall flex. This also means it has less air in the tire to absorb any shocks. So the 19s will give you the most comfort but won't have the stickiness of summer performance tires.

· Registered
Lucid Grand Touring 2022
15 Posts
Just curious . I opted for the 20 inch wheels. In reality, does anyone think there will be a noticeable difference in ride quality between 19 and 20 inch wheels? I do not have an abundance of experience with this topic. I suspect I would not even be able to tell the difference , but I would love to hear the opinions of people who are much more seasoned with automobiles.

· Registered
2022 Lucid Air Touring
23 Posts
Look at the actual tire size in addition to the wheel size. The 19 inch wheels come with a “45 aspect ratio” tire. This is a measure of the height of the sidewall. In my opinion any lower profile tire less than a 45 will ride more harshly over bumps and be more susceptible to a blow out over a severe potholes (yes we have to worry about major potholes here in the snow belt Midwest). You can always order an all season tire in the OEM tire size if you don’t like the summer tire that comes with.

Tire and rubber compound technology has improved so vastly in the past 10-20 years unless you are on the track racing (or trying to get a great skidpad number from a car test from the car mags) I feel summer tires are pointless.

On second thought, one possible use case for a summer tire might be to deal with the massive!!! weight of an EV in very hot climates.

· Registered
33 Posts
Did you notice in the configurator that the 20 and 21 inch are summer performance tires while the 19s are all season? The 21s will give you the best maneuvering since it will have the least sidewall flex. This also means it has less air in the tire to absorb any shocks. So the 19s will give you the most comfort but won't have the stickiness of summer performance tires.
I drive a ‘22 Porsche GT4, which I track about 20+ times a season. The after market wheels I have on it are forged 19” vs OEM 20”. 2 advantages, lower unsprung weight and the extra side wall reduces bump steer. I assure you there are plenty of grippy 19” tires although I have no idea what tires are rated for the lucid weight. Lastly, just my opinion, electric cars certainly have the advantage of a much lower center of gravity and with instant torque are very fast in a straight line, but if you’re looking for a performance electric car the Taycan, which has crappy range, is a better option.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts