Lucid Motors Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hearing some getting only 250 miles is disconcerting. My thoughts were 400 mlles in summer and 300-350 in winter.
The reason I am spending a fortune on this car is primarily a range issue. I love the look and tech but would not purchase if range is really that much of an overestimate.
I agree at that kind of range my order gets punted. I think it will be while before I get the order call and hopefully these issues I'm seeing here are resolved, spending 150K plus on a DD I'm expecting performance and reliability.

Performance with 21" wheels drove 350-375+ miles during my last drive a couple of weeks ago.
Range with 19"wheels, I am sure would provide over 425 mies.
I am sure LUCID has plans to extend the milage over software update one of these days.
I compromised and went with 20" wheels as winter and spring potholes are brutal on wheels here in Chicago and sidewall height helps, do you know if the 20" wheels provide more range than the 21" wheels?
I'm assuming that smaller diameter wheel and tire combos deliver better range because they weigh less?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree at that kind of range my order gets punted. I think it will be while before I get the order call and hopefully these issues I'm seeing here are resolved, spending 150K plus on a DD I'm expecting performance and reliability.

I compromised and went with 20" wheels as winter and spring potholes are brutal on wheels here in Chicago and sidewall height helps, do you know if the 20" wheels provide more range than the 21" wheels?
I'm assuming that smaller diameter wheel and tire combos deliver better range because they weigh less?
Smaller tires should produce better range. The official range estimates are always off because of the testing protocols. I just want to know what I will be facing if I drive quickly in Arizona weather and how the Lucid compares in this regard to its competitors.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Smaller tires should produce better range. The official range estimates are always off because of the testing protocols. I just want to know what I will be facing if I drive quickly in Arizona weather and how the Lucid compares in this regard to its competitors.
Alex from the other forum took delivery of his DE with 21". He lives in Tuscon, maybe check with him on range.

Otherwise, I was in Gilbert for a week, over Christmas holiday, driving around and was averaging around 2.8 mi/kwh. DE perf with 21". That would get you, 330 miles mixed coty/highway driving on a full charge.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Alex from the other forum took delivery of his DE with 21". He lives in Tuscon, maybe check with him on range.

Otherwise, I was in Gilbert for a week, over Christmas holiday, driving around and was averaging around 2.8 mi/kwh. DE perf with 21". That would get you, 330 miles mixed coty/highway driving on a full charge.
Which other forum?

·
Registered
12 Posts
About RANGE and the EPA figures at fueleconomy.gov.................They show two figures for a Lucid GT. City is 130 miles. Hwy is 132 miles. And 516 for Total Range. Plus that is MPGE city and hwy milage. Sooooo, they show you that 33.7 k/wh is equivilant to one gallon of gasoline. Then if you divide 33.4 k/wh into the size of the battery size (118kwh) you get 3,5 (gal equiv) and then multiply that by the hwy figure of 132, you get a hwy only range of 462 mies for the car.

I 'think' I did that right. Could be wrong. The idea is that you need to realize that a gallon of gas is equal to 33.7 kwh so you need to divide that into the size of your battery then mulitpy that by the hwy only figure that the EPA gives you.

I've owned two Tesla S Models and was curious at best about the EPA Total range for those cars and just recently realized how I needed to compute the range for hwy only. I do belive now that it's possible for a S Model to actually get close to its EPA Total Range of 405 miles but only if you combine a Lot of city driving with some hwy driving. And I"ll be damned if I'll ever drive around town that much ever. I do about 85% if my driving on interstates. Ev's don't seem to fit my kind of driving at all and I don't stop all the time like a lot of commentors on these ev sites do.

If I computed the real EPA range for hwy wrongly.........sorry 'bout that.

·
Registered
170 Posts
About RANGE and the EPA figures at fueleconomy.gov.................They show two figures for a Lucid GT. City is 130 miles. Hwy is 132 miles. And 516 for Total Range. Plus that is MPGE city and hwy milage. Sooooo, they show you that 33.7 k/wh is equivilant to one gallon of gasoline. Then if you divide 33.4 k/wh into the size of the battery size (118kwh) you get 3,5 (gal equiv) and then multiply that by the hwy figure of 132, you get a hwy only range of 462 mies for the car.

I 'think' I did that right. Could be wrong. The idea is that you need to realize that a gallon of gas is equal to 33.7 kwh so you need to divide that into the size of your battery then mulitpy that by the hwy only figure that the EPA gives you.

I've owned two Tesla S Models and was curious at best about the EPA Total range for those cars and just recently realized how I needed to compute the range for hwy only. I do belive now that it's possible for a S Model to actually get close to its EPA Total Range of 405 miles but only if you combine a Lot of city driving with some hwy driving. And I"ll be damned if I'll ever drive around town that much ever. I do about 85% if my driving on interstates. Ev's don't seem to fit my kind of driving at all and I don't stop all the time like a lot of commentors on these ev sites do.

If I computed the real EPA range for hwy wrongly.........sorry 'bout that.
The main issue with mpgE is that it's calculated by measuring how much energy it takes to charge the battery from 0 to 100%. They do it by draining the battery then charging it up and then use the TOTAL energy needed to charge to calculate the mpgE. However, all EVs need MORE energy to charge than the battery can hold, which is why if you use mpgE to calculate range, it will always be lower than the actual range of the vehicle.

·
Registered
299 Posts

Yes, smaller the wheel, better is the range.

·
Registered
299 Posts

I drive with full charge on long distance and always get 360 to 380 miles with 21" wheels on P.

·
Registered
299 Posts
So…. Not 500+?
EPA rated 451 miles on Dream Edition Performance with 21" wheels. This may be on ideal condition of temperature and flat driving, at certain constant speed limit.

Normal driving with ups and downs with variable speed in hot or cold weather, one could expect about 80% of EPA estimate.

May be one would get 450 miles if he drive under 60M/h or preferably 55M/h

I believe this is an established fact and not decided by any one person.

EPA estimation of 520 miles is for Dream Edition R with 19" wheels under the same conditions. Even then it will provide 80% with normal long distance driving.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Out here speed limits on highways are mostly 65 mph and most go more than 75. I was on one of these yesterday...a HOV lane plus three others. I was cruising in the second to the right lane (three lanes to my left because the HOV lane is simply a high speed lane during non rush hour periods) with my cruise control set at 75 and I was constantly being passed. My point is that no out here drives 55 or even 65 mph on highways and many of the city streets are 45 or 50 mph and wide. So the real life range will likely be even less than 80%.

I have a Pure on order. "400 mile range" Take 80% of that on most charges will bring it down to 320 miles; then take 75% of that for real life type range results and one is down to at most 240 miles of normal range. That is likely enough for me.

But take a car with a range of 260 official miles. Then take 80% of that and one gets 208; take 80% of that and one gets 166 miles. That is a result that causes me concern.

Many question why one needs the range of a Lucid; I think these types of calculations show why the Lucid range is a good thing.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Out here speed limits on highways are mostly 65 mph and most go more than 75. I was on one of these yesterday...a HOV lane plus three others. I was cruising in the second to the right lane (three lanes to my left because the HOV lane is simply a high speed lane during non rush hour periods) with my cruise control set at 75 and I was constantly being passed. My point is that no out here drives 55 or even 65 mph on highways and many of the city streets are 45 or 50 mph and wide. So the real life range will likely be even less than 80%.

I have a Pure on order. "400 mile range" Take 80% of that on most charges will bring it down to 320 miles; then take 75% of that for real life type range results and one is down to at most 240 miles of normal range. That is likely enough for me.

But take a car with a range of 260 official miles. Then take 80% of that and one gets 208; take 80% of that and one gets 166 miles. That is a result that causes me concern.

Many question why one needs the range of a Lucid; I think these types of calculations show why the Lucid range is a good thing.
Some of your comments make sense.

However it is the range anxiety with EV's. No problem with ICE cars since there is a gas station almost in every corner, so that they don't have to worry about being stuck in the middle of nowhere.

I agree with you 100% when EV chargers are available in every corner and any EV could be charged with any EV chargers, unlike now it s proprietary.

This may happen in next few years when over 500,000 EV chargers will be installed in USA, with Biden's incentive.

Even then you need a second car with high range milage for people who travel long distance a lot. Just because there are many EV chargers, one doesn't have to stop every 100 miles when you are planning to drive 500-700 miles in one day.

Again one need the charging fast enough similar to filling gas in your car. Right now Lucid can charge 20 miles/Min when you are low, but not when one has over 60%.

So fast charging rate has to be high the whole time you charge as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Some of your comments make sense.

However it is the range anxiety with EV's. No problem with ICE cars since there is a gas station almost in every corner, so that they don't have to worry about being stuck in the middle of nowhere.

I agree with you 100% when EV chargers are available in every corner and any EV could be charged with any EV chargers, unlike now it s proprietary.

This may happen in next few years when over 500,000 EV chargers will be installed in USA, with Biden's incentive.

Even then you need a second car with high range milage for people who travel long distance a lot. Just because there are many EV chargers, one doesn't have to stop every 100 miles when you are planning to drive 500-700 miles in one day.

Again one need the charging fast enough similar to filling gas in your car. Right now Lucid can charge 20 miles/Min when you are low, but not when one has over 60%.

So fast charging rate has to be high the whole time you charge as well.
I didn't know about the 60% provision but it makes sense. Charging rates slow up as the battery fills up. I am not troubled by the 60% as I only plan to use fast chargers to get me to a baseline from which I can supplement my charge overnight. And that would only need to be done occasionally.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I didn't know about the 60% provision but it makes sense. Charging rates slow up as the battery fills up. I am not troubled by the 60% as I only plan to use fast chargers to get me to a baseline from which I can supplement my charge overnight. And that would only need to be done occasionally.
60% is just an example and didn't mean it would change at that point. Sorry for my misguide.

My point was the charging rate starts slowing down as the charging percentage increase to higher level.

·
Registered
62 Posts
60% is just an example and didn't mean it would change at that point. Sorry for my misguide.

My point was the charging rate starts slowing down as the charging percentage increase to higher level.
Which is why a larger range to start with will allow quicker charging as the percentage will be lower for any given number of miles driven. For example, using your 60%, 60% of 400 is 240 range miles; 60% of 200 is 120 range miles. So charging a Lucid Air will be faster to a given range mile goal.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts