Lucid Motors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1. Knowing that the Lucid battery design is "more" modular than the competition (22 modules vs 16 for the Tesla S). I imagine when the batteries start degrading, you can replace a "bad" module individually rather than replacing the entire battery system (all 22 modules), right? Or is the state of the technology such that when a battery degrades to the point of needing to be replaced, the entire battery system needs to be replaced? A lot less expensive to replace modules as they fail rather than all 22 modules, right?

2. And what about the Lucid Air battery warranty of 8 years or 100K miles. Tesla's N=Model S warranty is 8 years or 150K miles. Why is Tesla's Model S warranty 50% longer? I would have thought the more advanced Lucid battery management would give us the edge in the battery warranty.

Any inside information? Any thoughts?

Here is the battery warranty as it is stated in the manual as of today.

Battery Limited Warranty
The high voltage battery is covered for the duration of 8 years or 100,000 miles (160,000 km), whichever occurs first, with a minimum 70% retention of battery capacity over the warranty period. The Battery Warranty covers the cost of repair, replacement, or adjustment of a defective Lucid battery at the discretion of Lucid, subject to the limitations outlined in this New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
The high voltage battery, like all batteries, will experience a decrease of energy and power loss with time and use. Loss of energy or power reduction over time is not covered beyond the terms and limits of this warranty,as set forth in the paragraph above. Proper storage and maintenance of your Lucid vehicle will maximize the life and capacity of the battery. Failure to follow the recommended guidelines and charging procedures as stated in the Lucid Owner's Manual will not be covered under the terms of this limited warranty. Please refer to the Owner's Manual for additional information.
Please note that the vehicle's displays of range are estimates based on driving conditions and habits, including other factors that are independent from the vehicle's battery capacity. The measurement method used to determine the battery capacity is at the sole discretion of Lucid's trained and authorized representatives.
If it is determined that your battery requires warranty repair, Lucid will repair, replace, or adjust the part with a new, reconditioned, or remanufactured part at the discretion of Lucid. However, Lucid will ensure that the capacity of the battery will b,e equal or greater than the original battery capacity during the warranty claim.

·
Registered
26 Posts
1) Tesla will only quote you for battery replacement. But there are independent shops that specialize in EVs that will drop the battery pack, test individual modules, and replace modules that won't charge to the same values as other modules. These are normally "reconditioned" rather than new modules. Rather than >$20k, replacing a single module is around $3k from what I've seen. I don't know what Lucid's stance will be on battery work.

·
Registered
57 Posts
...you can replace a "bad" module individually rather than replacing the entire battery system (all 22 modules), right?
I have heard nothing about this from Lucid but I did hear a Ford engineer specifically discuss that is was their design intent for modules to be able to be replaced at dealerships. Ford uses pouch cells and Lucid uses cylindrical cells but the modules themselves don't look totally dissimilar. I suspect the Lucid units can be replaced individually.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have heard nothing about this from Lucid but I did hear a Ford engineer specifically discuss that is was their design intent for modules to be able to be replaced at dealerships. Ford uses pouch cells and Lucid uses cylindrical cells but the modules themselves don't look totally dissimilar. I suspect the Lucid units can be replaced individually.
I thought so as well. But recently my range started shrinking significantly on my 2018 BMW 530e so when it went in for maintenance, I asked the dealership to check the battery pack. The dealership found a bad cell. BMW PHEV packs use two packages of three cells each to hold the batteries. I expected that they would replace the bad cell, or at least, one of the two packs. To my surprise, and pleasure, they replaced the entire battery pack. I have heard of others having a bad cell replaced. So I wonder if there is so secret rules governing one against the other.

Right now, car makers are not giving out a lot of information on electrified vehicles. Lucid is not alone in that regard.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I thought so as well. But recently my range started shrinking significantly on my 2018 BMW 530e so when it went in for maintenance, I asked the dealership to check the battery pack. The dealership found a bad cell. BMW PHEV packs use two packages of three cells each to hold the batteries. I expected that they would replace the bad cell, or at least, one of the two packs. To my surprise, and pleasure, they replaced the entire battery pack. I have heard of others having a bad cell replaced. So I wonder if there is so secret rules governing one against the other.

Right now, car makers are not giving out a lot of information on electrified vehicles. Lucid is not alone in that regard.
Working inside high voltage batteries requires training, certification, and special tools. Many shops are not yet prepared to deal with this but that will change in coming years. Weber State University in Utah has received a lot of attention for its automotive technician training program. They have posted quite a bit on the subject on YouTube.

Earlier this year a number of Ford Mach Es had a battery issue that could have been resolved with module replacement, but not enough dealers were ready to do the work so they replaced whole packs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.