Lucid Motors Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

The folks at InsideEVs conducted what they say is the first "independent" range test for the Lucid Air, putting it through their 70mph highway test, and it dominated.

The previous record was 310-miles from a 2021 Tesla Model 3 Long Range (followed by a 2021 Model S Plaid which went 300 miles) and the Air returned an almost unbelievable 500.1 miles before showing 0% state of charge. The consumption rate was 4.3 miles/kWh and they consume 117 kWh of juice.

I've had a niggling suspicion that an updated Model S Long Range would be close to an Air, but it's hard to know since the Plaid gets all the attention. But looking at what InsideEVs got with a Plaid, it's hard to imagine a non-Plaid S coming close to the Air.

Incredible work, Lucid!

·
Registered
354 Posts
All these impressive stats from Lucid has me thinking how many Tesla owners they convert.
Lot of Tesla owners are still not sure of LUCID yet. As time goes by, more and more people will fall inline with Lucid Motors, I believe.

Many Tesla owners are still proud owners of their cars and not willing to accept anything different, even if they are aware it is better than theirs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
All these impressive stats from Lucid has me thinking how many Tesla owners they convert.
Just who on God's green earth drives at 70 mph??? Interstate hwy speeds are mostly in the 75 to 85 mph range. You'd take your life in your hands doing 70 mph in most of the west of the Mississippi River. How about a Real interstate milage test like Car and Driver do on most all their reviews ??? I'm sure they'll have one soon.

70 mph 'test' is bs imho. I'm sure Lucid IS the best at 75 or 80 mph though. Just want a Real normal hwy test at 75.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Just who on God's green earth drives at 70 mph??? Interstate hwy speeds are mostly in the 75 to 85 mph range. You'd take your life in your hands doing 70 mph in most of the west of the Mississippi River. How about a Real interstate milage test like Car and Driver do on most all their reviews ??? I'm sure they'll have one soon.

70 mph 'test' is bs imho. I'm sure Lucid IS the best at 75 or 80 mph though. Just want a Real normal hwy test at 75.
I have already posted this in the forum.

Driving around 75 mph from Las Vegas to San Diego about 310 miles I got about 85% EPA mile range with ups and downs with a temperature range of 55-65F. Wit 80 mph on HWY drive an average would be about 80% of EPA. In city with short drives of stop and go, one could get about 90-100% of EPA.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have already posted this in the forum.

Driving around 75 mph from Las Vegas to San Diego about 310 miles I got about 85% EPA mile range with ups and downs with a temperature range of 55-65F. Wit 80 mph on HWY drive an average would be about 80% of EPA. In city with short drives of stop and go, one could get about 90-100% of EPA.
Good for you Ashoka.....my 'gripe' is magazines doing a very unreal test at seventy mph or less. Not good enough for me. Maybe for others. I find Car and Driver's 75 mph tests on cars more to the 'real' of hwy driving on interstates. Short drives have never mattered to me whether gasoline/diesel or EV. Home always just a few miles from my own charger.
Thanks for your input though.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Good for you Ashoka.....my 'gripe' is magazines doing a very unreal test at seventy mph or less. Not good enough for me. Maybe for others. I find Car and Driver's 75 mph tests on cars more to the 'real' of hwy driving on interstates. Short drives have never mattered to me whether gasoline/diesel or EV. Home always just a few miles from my own charger.
Thanks for your input though.
I am planning a cross country trip this summer if Covid and everything else works out ok. Few years ago I made a trip from San Diego to Florida , Washington DC, Toronto, back to midwest, Las Vegas back and few trips in-between covering over 12,000 miles in under 3 moths. If it happens, I will try to keep notes on actual milage vs EPA and post it.

·
Banned
96 Posts
Lot of Tesla owners are still not sure of LUCID yet. As time goes by, more and more people will fall inline with Lucid Motors, I believe.

Many Tesla owners are still proud owners of their cars and not willing to accept anything different, even if they are aware it is better than theirs.
Plus we’re not sure if Lucid will still be a company in year or two. Time will tell.

·
Banned
182 Posts

They do it at that speed because 1) the started at that speed so every car now has to test at that speed, 2) the felt it was much easier to maintain 70 on highways, 3) it kept them within the speed limit even if others are willing to drive over in their own personal vehicles.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Eh I’ve found the good aero cars hold closer to true as they get to higher speeds. So this test shows that the 80mph range will be closer to 500 too. My taycan was getting over 250 at 85 mph.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Eh I’ve found the good aero cars hold closer to true as they get to higher speeds. So this test shows that the 80mph range will be closer to 500 too. My taycan was getting over 250 at 85 mph.
I've had a Tesla S Performance and now a Tesla S model Long Range, and if I drove either at a steady 85 mph, I doubt I'd get to the 250 mark before I ran out of electrons.
Hard to believe the speed limits in Arizona are posted 70 mph, I've driven from Tx to Ca and taken the I-10 and got off on the I-8 and don't ever remember a posted 70 mph except from Gila Bend to getting back on the I-10

I'll cede that a Lucid is better than a Tesla, easily.......with the exception of the superchargers installed by Tesla.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've had a Tesla S Performance and now a Tesla S model Long Range, and if I drove either at a steady 85 mph, I doubt I'd get to the 250 mark before I ran out of electrons.
Hard to believe the speed limits in Arizona are posted 70 mph, I've driven from Tx to Ca and taken the I-10 and got off on the I-8 and don't ever remember a posted 70 mph except from Gila Bend to getting back on the I-10

I'll cede that a Lucid is better than a Tesla, easily.......with the exception of the superchargers installed by Tesla.
Electrify America which is used by Lucid may not be as many as super chargers but note:

1. Lucid Air provides 520 miles per charge nearly 30% more miles from the best Tesla or twice as other Tesla.

2. Electrify America can charge Lucid 200 miles in 10 minutes, which is impossible from superchargers.

It is APPLE vs Orange.

·
Banned
182 Posts

Probably not, but some of the range tests they do are in New Jersey on the turnpike. Plus when you are doing a range test, it's much easier to maintain 70 than 75 or 80 especially if you hit a patch of traffic. It just keeps the tests as close to being the same as possible.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am planning a cross country trip this summer if Covid and everything else works out ok. Few years ago I made a trip from San Diego to Florida , Washington DC, Toronto, back to midwest, Las Vegas back and few trips in-between covering over 12,000 miles in under 3 moths. If it happens, I will try to keep notes on actual milage vs EPA and post it.
Covering around 12,000 miles in 3 months on a trip sounds really exciting. Awesome! I can't wait to see the pics of your next trip that you're now planning.

·
Registered
114 Posts

Correct. I usually drive nine miles over the speed limit (the police in Arizona,with a fewexceptions/locations, only issue radar tickets at more than nine mph) as I don't want another speeding ticket. I do speed up a bit when I am keeping up with cars in front of me on the theory that they will be stopped instead of me or, at least, I will see what is happening in time to slow down. Half the cars on the highway blow by me when I am driving 74.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Correct. I usually drive nine miles over the speed limit (the police in Arizona,with a fewexceptions/locations, only issue radar tickets at more than nine mph) as I don't want another speeding ticket. I do speed up a bit when I am keeping up with cars in front of me on the theory that they will be stopped instead of me or, at least, I will see what is happening in time to slow down. Half the cars on the highway blow by me when I am driving 74.
I've given up on EV's range given by EPA, TESLA, LUCID and others.
From experience I've learned my Tesla S Models range is not 405 miles on a hwy in Tx.

I find driving at 75mph I get 30 miles for every 10% of charge
Now take away not ever going below 20% as advised by Tesla and only charging to 90% advised by Tesla, that gives me only 70% to drive with. Or 210 miles of range on the interstates.
I care not what I get in town. The house charger is always nearby.

Shoulda bought a Lucid or Mercedes if all it's good enough is for around town. At least I'd be more comfortable in town, and use the S560 on trips.

OR sell the Tesla for what I paid for it and pocket the money, which I'm seriously considering.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts