Lucid Motors Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I actually have a reservation that came due for a build a couple of months ago. Earlier this summer I was able to test drive a Lucid and absolutely loved it. The one thing that I noticed about the car when I saw it in person was how low it sits. I now live in Colorado full time and need a car that is going to be able to deal with serious snow and sub zero temperatures. The local dealer recommended the 19" rims, but it seems like the front will become a snow plow or the car is going to get stuck on a ridge of snow/ice.

Given this past week of bad weather across the country, I was hoping people could share their experience with the Lucid in multiple inches of snow and below freezing temperatures. Bonus if you are running 19" rims with all season tires :)

Thanks!

· Registered
4 Posts
Just drove a GT Air with the 21" wheels from Scottsdale AZ to Denver CO about 2 weeks ago. In a storm. Actually made it unscathed, but would HIGHLY recommend all season or winter tires, as these summer tires became hockey pucks after a while...

Tire Wheel Grille Automotive tire Automotive lighting

· Registered
2 Posts
I have a Lucid Air GT with 19" tires. It's fine in snow up to a few inches. Traction is good on snow covered, plowed roads. Identical to my prior try cars, a BMW M8 and a Tesla Model S, both with 4 wheel drive. These are not cars for deep snow (over 6"). That's why God made SUVs.

· Registered
17 Posts
Agree with pssonj. I live in northern Rocky Mountains and just had pretty major snow dump. It does just fine with smaller amounts of snow. it is not an SUV. I use my old Toyota Highlander for more snow. Also, left car in a garage for 10 days no charging after charging it to 80% and 400miles. It lost only 25miles in those 10 days despite temps down to 10deg. Not bad. I certainly would not worry about being caught in it during a snowstorm on a blocked road with those numbers as far as length of battery charge. Better than my Highlander by far. Matches what multiple websites are saying.
I dont think winter driveability is any different from all the other low slung, low drag coefficient cars out there which all have low clearance to minimize drag. We also have a Tesla Model 3. Cant have it all. This is not a car for a 12inch snow dump but the driving is just fine. Needs snows just like any other powerful car in middle of a real winter like Colorado. It is very good but not magic.
Frankly, I put it away when storms role in more out of fear of someone hitting me. Lord knows what it would take and how long to repair this modern marvel with crazy amount of sensors. With the difficulty they have making new ones, no idea how we would get major parts in event of a major accident.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Levdeb I have the same Pirellis on an Alfa 4C and they are pretty much useless below 40 degrees. Welcome to Colorado!

@PSSONJ Thank you! You answer my question regarding deep snow. I was considering the Lucid and dropping a small SUV I have, but I don't think that is realistic given how low it is and how much snow we get in Colorado. I am just not ready to give up my sports car for the Lucid and only have room for two..

Happy Holidays everyone!

· Registered
17 Posts
@ecohen2, understand. However, I will say that the Lucid is as good as any sports car unless you have a convertible :) I live in the mountains and this thing corners like nobody's business. An Air GT can outperform just about any car out there. The Plaids and super Lucids require special tires and special modes that no real world person is going to use off a track (or shouldnt as it disables all the safety features).

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Crdgk, I actually do have a Spider so yes, the top comes off :). I went through a GT period for a while and the Lucid Air blows away every GT I have ever owned. When I took a test drive I could not get over how nice of a vehicle it was and I was blown away how well it handled for something as heavy as it is. Simply amazing!

At some point I will finish my lightweight, two seater phase and go back to a GT as my "fun car." The Lucid is at the top of my list when that happens.

· Registered
8 Posts
Just drove a GT Air with the 21" wheels from Scottsdale AZ to Denver CO about 2 weeks ago. In a storm. Actually made it unscathed, but would HIGHLY recommend all season or winter tires, as these summer tires became hockey pucks after a while...
I am making the reverse trip this weekend. Denver to Scottsdale. Can you lend me any insight into the charging stations that you used on the route? Thank you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts