Lucid Motors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to be performing a lvl2 home charger test overnight, but prior to starting there is some interesting battery drain going on.

I have a Chargepoint Home Flex charger installed. I have it set to charge starting at 9:30pm to take advantage of the off peak charging rate.

I plugged the car in at 3pm and it was at 20%. I just checked via the app and the car is now at 17% SOC. It has used up 3% SOC while sitting there and having the charge cable plugged in but not feeding it any juice.

I will report back tomorrow morning but I find it VERY interesting it drains that much. It also is not shutdown like normal. I can hear the fans running slightly probably prepping for charge.

·
Registered
189 Posts
So I'm going to be performing a lvl2 home charger test overnight, but prior to starting there is some interesting battery drain going on.

I have a Chargepoint Home Flex charger installed. I have it set to charge starting at 9:30pm to take advantage of the off peak charging rate.

I plugged the car in at 3pm and it was at 20%. I just checked via the app and the car is now at 17% SOC. It has used up 3% SOC while sitting there and having the charge cable plugged in but not feeding it any juice.

I will report back tomorrow morning but I find it VERY interesting it drains that much. It also is not shutdown like normal. I can hear the fans running slightly probably prepping for charge.
It the fan is running because it is prepping for the charge, then it is using electricity to do so. It it wasn't a scheduled start, it would start up and use the electricity from the plug in to keep the car charged but that is not an option on time of day charging.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Now I'm wondering if connecting to a non-lucid charger can cause battery drain because of bi-directional capability? Car always expects some current to be delivered? Trickle charge? Too bad clamp meters supposedly don't work, can't detect which direction but could tell if it's car internally or something externally. Cable acting as a resistor.

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea ideally I could just leave the cable plugged in all day and just let it charge when I schedule my Home Flex to start during off peak hours. The problem is by leaving the cable plugged in, rhe car wants to start charging and is running the fans to keep the car cool.

Maybe in the future Lucid will introduce a schedule charge feature so I can just sync it up to charge at the same time. For now, I will just have to go plug in a few minutes before it's scheduled to start so I don't drain extra juice.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yea ideally I could just leave the cable plugged in all day and just let it charge when I schedule my Home Flex to start during off peak hours. The problem is by leaving the cable plugged in, rhe car wants to start charging and is running the fans to keep the car cool.

Maybe in the future Lucid will introduce a schedule charge feature so I can just sync it up to charge at the same time. For now, I will just have to go plug in a few minutes before it's scheduled to start so I don't drain extra juice.
I wonder if this will do the same thing with the Lucid charger?

·
Registered
13 Posts
[QUOTE="Hydbob, post: 2208, member: 272"
[/QUOTE]
The Lucid web site indicates that scheduling charging should be coming soon. I hope so because this is the best way to charge using off peak electricity. This is from their web site:

Charging demystified.
We take the guesswork out of charging. With the Lucid app, you can soon schedule your charge, setting when it should start or stop — at environmentally conscious hours, for instance — and monitor the progress.​

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took a closer look at my breaker, looks like the electrician who wired the house originally cheated on spec. He was supposed to run a 60 amp line into the 14-50 plug, instead it looks like ran dual 30 amp line instead. I set the Chargepoint Home Flex to 30 amps this time instead of 40 amp, will run another test tonight and see if that trips the breaker or not.

Either way, I used the included Lucid plug charger on the same line with no breaker tripping. So the Lucid charger seems to be limiting what the car can take so it won't trip my breaker, which is nice.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Took a closer look at my breaker, looks like the electrician who wired the house originally cheated on spec. He was supposed to run a 60 amp line into the 14-50 plug, instead it looks like ran dual 30 amp line instead. I set the Chargepoint Home Flex to 30 amps this time instead of 40 amp, will run another test tonight and see if that trips the breaker or not.

Either way, I used the included Lucid plug charger on the same line with no breaker tripping. So the Lucid charger seems to be limiting what the car can take so it won't trip my breaker, which is nice.
That sucks, heh. Super interesting on the mobile charger - I wonder how it does that?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.