Lucid Motors Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reserved a Pure Oct 2020. Sold on Lucid by its engineering as well as its looks. Looking forward to some cross-country trips as well as to the Southeast. I’m grateful to the Dream owners for being willing to be first buyers and sort out the wrinkles before they start production on the Pures. Have had a hybrid for 10 years so we are transitioning to BEV. Looking forward to learning from those with more experience.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. There is an EA charging station being installed just 1.5 miles from my home 😄. I’m curious as to whether I need to buy a home charger in addition to the charging cable included with the Air and an EA station nearby. I have read that using the fast charger will degrade the battery. Is that true? Also I am wondering how many other Jersey folks are on here.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have read that using the fast charger will degrade the battery. Is that true?
Using a fast charger constantly will speed up battery degradation a bit, but many owners in condos and apartments have little choice.

The good news is that, as data has accumulated from the field over the past 10 years, battery degradation in most models has been less that predicted. There are reports of cars (mainly Teslas) in service in Europe as taxis that use fast chargers daily and still have 70% of their original pack capacity after 150,000 and more miles.

My recommendation would be that, if you have the ability to install a Level 2 charger at your home, you should do that. Just plug the car in every time you get home, set the charge limit no higher than 80% unless you're about to leave on a long trip, and you'll never have to worry about its state of charge, what you might be doing to the battery, or finding a line at the local charging station. You'll probably also pay less for the electricity.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Reserved a Pure Oct 2020. Sold on Lucid by its engineering as well as its looks. Looking forward to some cross-country trips as well as to the Southeast. I’m grateful to the Dream owners for being willing to be first buyers and sort out the wrinkles before they start production on the Pures. Have had a hybrid for 10 years so we are transitioning to BEV. Looking forward to learning from those with more experience.
Welcome to the forum @JerseyStrong! Were you considering any other EVs before going with the Air? If you think you can live with using the EA charger than you don't have to get a home charger. But depending on how busy it is it and how much you plan on driving your Air might be worth looking into a home charger.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the forum @JerseyStrong! Were you considering any other EVs before going with the Air? If you think you can live with using the EA charger than you don't have to get a home charger. But depending on how busy it is it and how much you plan on driving your Air might be wo

Not Tesla due to quality issues. Lucid is really the only one I have considered due to its racing battery experience and the in-house engineering.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks for the response. There is an EA charging station being installed just 1.5 miles from my home 😄. I’m curious as to whether I need to buy a home charger in addition to the charging cable included with the Air and an EA station nearby. I have read that using the fast charger will degrade the battery. Is that true? Also I am wondering how many other Jersey folks are on here.
You can use the mobile charger that comes with the air. I would highly recommend, though, that you install a 240 volt NEMA 14-50 outlet for it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
You can use the mobile charger that comes with the air. I would highly recommend, though, that you install a 240 volt NEMA 14-50 outlet for it.
Yes. Level 2 charging at home real is best for the battery pack. In a recent interview in which Peter Rawlinson was discussing how fast DC charging is in the Air, he nevertheless added that home charging should be the default practice if available, as it is "gentler" on the pack (or words to that effect).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes. Level 2 charging at home real is best for the battery pack. In a recent interview in which Peter Rawlinson was discussing how fast DC charging is in the Air, he nevertheless added that home charging should be the default practice if available, as it is "gentler" on the pack (or words to that effect).
Thanks to all of you. Once Lucid releases its own Phase 2 charger my question will be what advantages does it offer compared to an after-market brand. We have a whole house generator so bi-directional charging isn’t important to me.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks to all of you. Once Lucid releases its own Phase 2 charger my question will be what advantages does it offer compared to an after-market brand. We have a whole house generator so bi-directional charging isn’t important to me.
IMHO, none If you are charging overnight.

The difference is that the Lucid Home Charger will charge at 80 amps (19.2 kw/h), or twice as fast as a standard aftermarket charger, but that is overkill. With a ChargePoint flex running at 40 amps, or 9.2 kw per hour, it will fill a 112 kw Lucid battery in 12 hours. That is the same speed as the Lucid mobile charger that comes with the car. However, one is never charging from 0 to 100. A charge to 80% is recommended (unless going on a trip) and you are likely never going below 20 for optimal battery life. The ChargePoint Flex at 40 volts will fill 20 to 80 in 7 hours. Furthermore, if the ChargePoint Flex is hardwired, it can run at 50 amps.

I would look at 40 amp chargers as they will plug into your NEMA 14-50 outlet at the maximum pull. if you are getting an aftermarket charger that only runs at 32 amps, you ‘might’ find it limiting if trying to get to a full charge from a low battery state.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I second sandvinsd's advice and would add . . .

The Level 2 charger that comes with the Lucid should be plenty adequate for home charging needs unless you run the battery way down, get home, and want to dash out again for a long haul. Which, although it's easy to worry about, never actually happens.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.