Lucid Motors Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a Tesla and now own a Lucid and would buy the Lucid again over a Tesla. I live in Chandler and there's a group of AZ Lucid owners that get together once in awhile. We are planning a meeting on 12/3 8am at Butterfields in Scottsdale. Come and talk to some other owners in the area if you are free.

·
Registered
5 Posts
View attachment 1815
Hi Members, I need your advice!

My situation:

1. I have a reservation for a Lucid Air Touring and have to finalize the specs in 2 weeks. I also have a reservation for a Tesla Model S Long Range, they just assigned my VIN, so I have about 1-2 weeks to decide on it. Otherwise, I forfeit the car at a $5000 lower price (I reserved it before the price increase). I plan to either choose the Lucid or the Tesla.

2. I presently live in an apartment in Central Phoenix with no charging port. I plan to purchase a house in the next year when the inflated house prices go down. That means I'll have to rely on the very few Electrify America chargers in the city for power.

3. I just test drove the Lucid and the Tesla S, I loved the Lucid, it just seems more advanced in terms of drive quality and technology inside the cabin. Plus I prefer the exterior esthetics over the Tesla.

The other night I watched a YouTube video by Kyle with Out of Spec Motoring on a road trip from Palm Springs to Colorado. Basically, the road trip in the Lucid was stressful because the Electrify America Charging network was horrendous. A lot of the times the charge station was malfunctioning and the driver spent so much time sitting and wasting time. At one charge station, he probably would have been towed if he didn't have any connections with the EA engineers.
Most of the commenters were saying that's exactly why they won't get the Lucid, too much of a headache with EA. They said charging is rarely an issue with Tesla, their Superchargers just work.

Would you still go ahead and purchase the Lucid in my situation? It seems like it's going to be a real headache, especially given that I don't have my own charging station at home.

Other questions:

1. Would you get the glass or metal roof in Phoenix? (110+ degree summer heat)
I'm leaning toward the metal roof due to the obvious heat.

2. Would you get the ($2900 upgrade) 21 speaker Surreal Surround Sound System?

3. Would you get ($9000) DreamDrive Pro?

4. Anyone know of the reliability of the EA charge station in Quartzite? (Between Phoenix and Los Angeles)

Any and all advice would be appreciated!!

Thanks!
Hi we have our 3rd Tesla Model 3 first was an 2016 model s and then 2018 Model x and now a model 3. , We went from model x which we liked but no range and rear gull wings doors a pain.We also have a Lucid Air Tour on order and received an email to finalize the design. We have driven the Air on 2 occasions and do love the car. But from a standpoint of charging there is nothing like the Tesla network. We have done 3 trips cross country, we Live In Ranch Mirage Ca, btw and have never had any what so ever issue with charging. However this past summer we talked to 4 different people that were using Electrify America and they all said the network is horrific.So we are delaying our purchase of the Lucid for right now. A , Want to make sure company is still around in a couple years and B That the electrify gets their stuff together. By the way we have had all three of our teslas with glass canapés and even with the screens that we bought afterwards and uv tinted aftermarket , it's still freaking hot. Our Lucid is without the glass roof, it doesn't work here in the desert. But we are going to pass ont. this for right now.
Larry

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hi we have our 3rd Tesla Model 3 first was an 2016 model s and then 2018 Model x and now a model 3. , We went from model x which we liked but no range and rear gull wings doors a pain.We also have a Lucid Air Tour on order and received an email to finalize the design. We have driven the Air on 2 occasions and do love the car. But from a standpoint of charging there is nothing like the Tesla network. We have done 3 trips cross country, we Live In Ranch Mirage Ca, btw and have never had any what so ever issue with charging. However this past summer we talked to 4 different people that were using Electrify America and they all said the network is horrific.So we are delaying our purchase of the Lucid for right now. A , Want to make sure company is still around in a couple years and B That the electrify gets their stuff together. By the way we have had all three of our teslas with glass canapés and even with the screens that we bought afterwards and uv tinted aftermarket , it's still freaking hot. Our Lucid is without the glass roof, it doesn't work here in the desert. But we are going to pass ont. this for right now.
Larry
Did you reserve the Lucid before the price increased or after? If you did it before are you going to lose out on the lower price?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Larry
Do any of the reports on software issues and other issues on the Air concern you? it almost seems like these cars are still in beta mode. I'm sure that has to be discouraging people to some extent, maybe even more so current EV owners.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you reserve the Lucid before the price increased or after? If you did it before are you going to lose out on the lower price?
Yes I am at lower price, and I will lose my thousand dollar deposit. My issue is traveling, which we do a lot of during the summer, Just like you it's 110 - 120 degrees in the desert here. No one has the infrastructure like Tesla They built the grid first and that's the problem with the rest of the ev mfg's they are relying on a third party which Lucid has no control over. If you're going to use the car primarily to drive around town then go Lucid, but if you want the confidence to travel the Telsa is the only way to go. Our first model s in 2016 we left here and drove to Maine, New York Texas and Back 2 month trip not one charging problem. Now there are 5 times more Tesla superchargers out there then there was in 2016

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had a Tesla S for 9 years and really liked it, but it is pretty spartan in its amenities. But its electronics can be first class but haven't yet reached the intended dependable integration of calendar, GPD, etc. But its ride and interior sound level [wind and road] leave something to be desired. Both my wife and I think the Lucid GT is significantly better and it is "wired" for substantial electronic upgrades going forward. Will have to wait and see how good the service support is, but I found the service support at Tesla to be its weakest point--having to use the app to schedule, unable to speak with the service folks. I would recommend the Lucid over the Tesla. BTW, if you want a used Tesla S, let me know.:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Lucid Touring Reservation although I may not go through with final purchase. I'm not a huge fan of the exterior. The two tone color is not appealing to me and the body shape particularly the back is not great. The demographics of who owns the car now is also older than me. Does anyone know if you get the metal roof instead of the glass canopy, is the car now a uniform color instead of two tone? I might be more inclined to get the car in that case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Lucid Touring Reservation although I may not go through with final purchase. I'm not a huge fan of the exterior. The two tone color is not appealing to me and the body shape particularly the back is not great. The demographics of who owns the car now is also older than me. Does anyone know if you get the metal roof instead of the glass canopy, is the car now a uniform color instead of two tone? I might be more inclined to get the car in that case.
Yes you can opt out of the glass roof. they also are offering a stealth look later in 23

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do any of the reports on software issues and other issues on the Air concern you? it almost seems like these cars are still in beta mode. I'm sure that has to be discouraging people to some extent, maybe even more so current EV owners.
A little concern but Like yesterday I received a letter from Tesla on a recall for the windows. So now im like Do I have to schedule an appointment? I read the letter and they will fix on an over the air update. So it takes some time and just like Tesla it gets better

·
Registered
57 Posts
It is difficult for me to recommend any EV to someone if they have a commute and no way to charge at home. Having said that, I usually charge my Air GT (at home) every other week, but I just use mine around town. While I'm not really tracking my range I easily get more than 300 miles romping around, not paying any attention to being efficient.
for you, it all depends on how much you drive. Even with the Tesla it will be a nuisance to wait while charging if you are doing it more than once a week.

Metal roof on any car is a natural in the Southwest, especially if you park outside.

I can't comment on Dream Drive because I don't know what is left off if you skip it. I would not buy any car w/o adaptive cruise, but that may come standard on the Touring. Worth asking Lucid.

Travelling from Dallas into the Colorado Rockies or into the Arkansas Ozarks I have encountered EA charging issues, but I'm not a whiney cry-baby like Kyle. Sometimes I have had to move to a different stall, charge at less than optimal speed, or even call EA's help line, but I have never been unable to charge, never been stranded. The nationwide charging network (not just EA) is expanding thanks to infrastructure bill funding and investors buying-in to EA and others. There will be growing pains though.

I love my air GT, how it looks, drives, and feels. I considered buying a Model S, but the looks, handling, and "baggage" just wasn't worth it.

EDIT: Just read your last post. The UX 2.0 OTA update has resolved any remaining issues I had with the software on my car, and there have been two small updates since then. Lucid has been very good about sending out OTA updates. Mostly they have been bug fixes but many that add features as well. CarPlay & Android Auto are expected by the end of the year (beta testing now), and Sirius XM should be turned on soon as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Metal roof is same color as the car

·
Registered
12 Posts
View attachment 1815

My situation:

1. I have a reservation for a Lucid Air Touring and have to finalize the specs in 2 weeks. I also have a reservation for a Tesla Model S Long Range, they just assigned my VIN, so I have about 1-2 weeks to decide on it. Otherwise, I forfeit the car at a $5000 lower price (I reserved it before the price increase). I plan to either choose the Lucid or the Tesla.

2. I presently live in an apartment in Central Phoenix with no charging port. I plan to purchase a house in the next year when the inflated house prices go down. That means I'll have to rely on the very few Electrify America chargers in the city for power.

3. I just test drove the Lucid and the Tesla S, I loved the Lucid, it just seems more advanced in terms of drive quality and technology inside the cabin. Plus I prefer the exterior esthetics over the Tesla.

The other night I watched a YouTube video by Kyle with Out of Spec Motoring on a road trip from Palm Springs to Colorado. Basically, the road trip in the Lucid was stressful because the Electrify America Charging network was horrendous. A lot of the times the charge station was malfunctioning and the driver spent so much time sitting and wasting time. At one charge station, he probably would have been towed if he didn't have any connections with the EA engineers.
Most of the commenters were saying that's exactly why they won't get the Lucid, too much of a headache with EA. They said charging is rarely an issue with Tesla, their Superchargers just work.

Would you still go ahead and purchase the Lucid in my situation? It seems like it's going to be a real headache, especially given that I don't have my own charging station at home.

Other questions:

4. Anyone know of the reliability of the EA charge station in Quartzite? (Between Phoenix and Los Angeles)

Thanks!
Let me simplify your predicament. Do you want an unsafe yoke steering wheel? Wind noise, poor quality interior, lack of physical buttons, the worst blindspot monitor, autodim headlights that dont dim when they need to, poor handling, poor brakes with excellent charging network- then buy Tesla. Iyou want the opposite, buy a Lucid

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looks are subjective but in California Lucid is quickly becoming the Buick of EVs in their customer demographics.
I’m interested in it for its space and affordability and efficiency.
Looks, trunk space, charging network, lack of highway lane keep is turning me off though
I've had lane keep on my last several Mercedes and it's a mixed blessing as it's very abrupt and I usually have it off unless I'm in bumper to bumper on a highway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I always encourage friends to get the car that appeals to them and don't buy for what the neighbors might think. I have found the trunk space to be more than adequate, but I don't take a dozen suitcases with me on trips. The. Highway Assist is part of the cruise control for better or worse [I prefer not to use it]. The EA network is a valid concern, but I have faith that EA or Lucid will create or improve it. It is representative of the growing pains of a early adopter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
View attachment 1815

My situation:

Other questions:

Thanks!
Buy the LUCID.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If yo get the solid roof it is a single color.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts