Lucid Motors Forum banner
61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Monday, at Westgate Valley Fair mall in San Jose. And yes. Worth calling them and asking, even if you aren’t a DE res holder. Probably just going to delay it.
I guess everyone should call and check! Thank you. How was the test drive? Pro and Cons?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I guess everyone should call and check! Thank you. How was the test drive? Pro and Cons?
The car is truly sublime. It has “holy shit” power in sprint mode, and my fiancée was like “LEAVE IT IN SWIFT I DON’T WANT TO SPRINT IT’S TOO MUCH” to give you an idea, after she found herself going from 60 to 95 in what felt like half a second, haha.

The interior is one of the nicest I’ve seen, ever. Not overly gaudy, no chrome, just wonderful materials that feel nice and well thought out. Turn radius was surprisingly nice.

It hugged curves and cornered like nobody‘s business; this surprised me because the car felt extremely stable, but handled like a sports car, despite being really heavy. It didn’t really feel heavy; it just felt stable and I never worried I was about to drift (admittedly, nor did I try to).

The sound system is the best I’ve ever heard in a car, period. I mix and write music, and it is literally the best I’ve ever heard for a vehicle. Period. Honestly and genuinely entrancing.

The UI was snappy for the most part; it had the occasional glitch, but nothing serious.

The windows were honestly a bit narrow for me, but that’s the style in a lot of cars nowadays.

The massaging seats were actual massaging seats, not “car massaging seats” if you know what I mean. They felt great.

The interior lighting “themes” were nice, though there were too few. I’d love to be able to define my own.

The seats themselves were extremely comfortable. The movable lumbar support and thigh support (extending out the front of the seat) were a really nice touch.

I honestly didn’t have very many complaints. The back seat was extremely comfortable too.

In the front, there was barely any road noise - and with music on, you couldn’t hear a thing (nor did you want to; did I mention how good the sound system was? Holy shit)

In the rear, there was a tiny bit more road noise. If I hadn’t read about it, I honestly don’t think I would have noticed; it was extremely minor, but it was a tiny bit louder. It did not strike me as louder than other luxury vehicles though.

All in all, I’m extremely excited to get mine delivered. Just applied for the financing today. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
The turn signal will take me some getting used to. I’m used to stalks that actually move and stay in place before returning to center, but this one moves and immediately moved back. To cancel a signal, you simply tap it in the other direction. It’s fine, I’m just not used to it.

Happy to answer any other specific questions!

·
Registered
411 Posts
The turn signal will take me some getting used to. I’m used to stalks that actually move and stay in place before returning to center, but this one moves and immediately moved back. To cancel a signal, you simply tap it in the other direction. It’s fine, I’m just not used to it.
Oh, great. When I drive my Honda Odyssey, I have to remember that its turn signal operates conventionally. When I drive our Tesla Model S Plaid, I have to remember to use the damned buttons on the yoke (if I can find them and touch them with just the right amount of pressure). Now, when I drive our Lucid, I'll have to remember that it has a stalk, but that to cancel the turn signal I have to push the stalk as if I were activating the opposite turn signal.

Would someone please tell me what in the deuce was wrong with the conventional operation of turns signals. Were they hard to find? Hard to figure out? The cause of roadway mayhem?

Or is being creative more than enhancing functionality now the siren song of automotive engineers?

·
Registered
313 Posts

Happy to answer any other specific questions!
Thanks for the detail write. Did they offer financing option? Any delivery time frame and when you placed the order? Do you have the VIN already?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oh, great. When I drive my Honda Odyssey, I have to remember that its turn signal operates conventionally. When I drive our Tesla Model S Plaid, I have to remember to use the damned buttons on the yoke (if I can find them and touch them with just the right amount of pressure). Now, when I drive our Lucid, I'll have to remember that it has a stalk, but that to cancel the turn signal I have to push the stalk as if I were activating the opposite turn signal.

Would someone please tell me what in the deuce was wrong with the conventional operation of turns signals. Were they hard to find? Hard to figure out? The cause of roadway mayhem?

Or is being creative more than enhancing functionality now the siren song of automotive engineers?
It’s honestly not that bad; it’s more like my Mazda than the damn steering wheel buttons that’s for sure.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the detail write. Did they offer financing option? Any delivery time frame and when you placed the order? Do you have the VIN already?
You can find financing info at bankofamerica.com/lucid.

Delivery timeframe is still before the end of the year, likely in the last two weeks of December. No VIN yet.

·
Registered
411 Posts
It’s honestly not that bad; it’s more like my Mazda than the damn steering wheel buttons that’s for sure.
My beef is not that the design is bad in and of itself. My beef is that more and more brands are beginning to diverge in different directions for automobile control functions for no apparent reason than attempts to be different. For cars such as Lucid, whose customers are likely to own other cars concurrently, to depart from a long-established and well-functioning norm in something that matters so little to "brand identity" but can impact on safety just seems worse than pointless to me.

I've come to expect this kind of engineering/design conceit from Tesla but am disappointed to see it from Lucid. We've had our Plaid for over three months now, and I still find the yoke and its bizarre control functions an unending distraction from the pleasure of driving.

When we had just one EV, we used to have friendly squabbles in the household over who would get to drive it. Part of getting both a Plaid and a Dream Edition was to end the squabbling. However, that yoke alone is going to keep the squabbling alive, as I'm pretty sure we both will prefer to drive the Lucid, if for no other reason than it has a conventional steering wheel.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well, the turn stalk has 2 different functions. If you push down or up partially it'll engage the signal for 3 seconds then turn off, perfect for lane changes. If you push up or down all the way, it engages completely and will turn off if you actually turn your wheel whichever direction you are supposed to turn past a certain point.

I think design is good because changing lanes with the first push and the signaling shutting off is something I don't have to go back and do unlike my Odyssey where I will manually have to disengage the signal.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, the turn stalk has 2 different functions. If you push down or up partially it'll engage the signal for 3 seconds then turn off, perfect for lane changes. If you push up or down all the way, it engages completely and will turn off if you actually turn your wheel whichever direction you are supposed to turn past a certain point.

I think design is good because changing lanes with the first push and the signaling shutting off is something I don't have to go back and do unlike my Odyssey where I will manually have to disengage the signal.
Yeah. I don’t dislike it. I genuinely think I prefer it, and that it’s a better design choice. I just need to get used to it, which won’t take long.

The yoke, on the other hand? Nope.

·
Registered
411 Posts
. . . unlike my Odyssey where I will manually have to disengage the signal.
?? Both my 2011 and my 2018 Odyssey had/have a lane-change feature whereby you push the stalk partially in either direction to signal lane changes, and the signal cancels as soon as you release the stalk. My Audis and my Mercedes' worked the same way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think the turn signal functionality @Hydbob describes is pretty common, bordering on "standard". The turn signals work that way on three out of the four vehicles in my family.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I think the turn signal functionality @Hydbob describes is pretty common, bordering on "standard". The turn signals work that way on three out of the four vehicles in my family.
You mean that they don't have a turn signal function and you instead have to manually turn the signal off when you're done changing lanes instead of just releasing the spring-loaded stalk?

·
Registered
25 Posts
They work like this...

If you push down or up partially it'll engage the signal for 3 seconds then turn off, perfect for lane changes. If you push up or down all the way, it engages completely and will turn off if you actually turn your wheel whichever direction you are supposed to turn past a certain point.

·
Registered
411 Posts
They work like this...

If you push down or up partially it'll engage the signal for 3 seconds then turn off, perfect for lane changes. If you push up or down all the way, it engages completely and will turn off if you actually turn your wheel whichever direction you are supposed to turn past a certain point.
That is exactly how mine have worked. But I was responding to Hydbob's post where he said his Odyssey required him to manually turn off the signal when using it to signal lane changes. In my Odysseys at least, you would only have to do that if you push the stalk all the way to a full stop instead of using the press-and-release function.

·
Registered
25 Posts
@hmp10 Understood. I think we are all saying mostly the same thing.

I have driven a car (rental maybe?) where the turn signal didn't latch up or down, but I can't remember what it was. But the functionality was the same...quick push for lane change, longer push for a turn.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sorry let me clarify, it works exactly the way you are saying. The Odyssey also works the same way, the difference between the Lucid and the Odyssey is that in the Lucid I don't have to hold the stalk down to keep the lane change function on, push down or up and it triggers for 3 seconds without having to manually keep it held down or up.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Sorry let me clarify, it works exactly the way you are saying. The Odyssey also works the same way, the difference between the Lucid and the Odyssey is that in the Lucid I don't have to hold the stalk down to keep the lane change function on, push down or up and it triggers for 3 seconds without having to manually keep it held down or up.
Thanks. That does help me understand better.

61 - 80 of 113 Posts