Lucid Motors Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
I wonder if the 20s have the caps as well. Both ways look awesome although I wonder how much range you loose when the caps are off.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Where I think the most use can be made of the Plaid's power -- and the Lucid's 1111 hp -- is in quick punches from speed, such as one might do in highway travel. However, that is the very situation in which you're most likely to have the cars set to more relaxed driving modes where the maximum power is not available. So . . . there you go.

We've already lived with a friendly rivalry in our household regarding whether it was more fun to drive the old Model S P90D or the Audi R8 V10 Spyder. With the rivalry now shifting to whether to drive the Plaid or the Lucid Air -- and particularly given the Air's extra 400+ pounds over the Plaid -- I didn't want the Air to feel more laggard than the Plaid, so I decided to sacrifice a bit of range to get the 1111 hp, just so it's there on those vanishingly rare occasions I might ever try to call it up.

It's pointless to the point of stupidity, I know. But sometimes the point of enjoying life is to indulge in pointlessness.
I think this is a driving force behind the more widespread adaption of EVs over the last decade. That was Elons genius with Tesla. Make an EV that was fast and sexy that people could aspire to. Prius have been around forever but being a slow small oddly styled vehicle limited their appeal.
I bought a modelS P85DL back in early 2015 and the guys in my car club laughed at me. That was untill we had our spring runway event and I took down a number of Ferraris and Lambos. I still had trouble with 911 turbo Ss and lightly moddedNissan GTRS however. The model S Raven was even more competitive. People weren’t laughing anymore , many refused to race me.The Tesla was quicker than my modded BMW Z8 so I would take that to the drags. Now several guys have a model S Plaid that early on turned their noses up at such fair. I think the Lucid is just the next step beyond the Tesla, even if it is just a touch slower. The ground work is laid.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Nah you could get a model T to about 45mph. Add a two speed ruckstell rear end or a rago OHV head or a speedster body and you were good into the 50s! ( my first restoration project was a 1926 T depot hack that I started at age 15)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Three pedal cars are going the way of the Dodo. Some supercars are not even offered in that flavor. The only reason for a shift years ago was the direct lockup.(no slippage through the tranny) that’s not true anymore plus the shifts are now on the order of milliseconds with a modern automatic) the only reason for a stick is nostalgia and exercising those hard won skills of blipping the throttle on downshifts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts