Lucid Motors Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I orrdered an Air Grand Touring in September 2020 and drove a Dream Edition for the first time yesterday (Feb 13). It's a fantastic vehicle, but the poor visibility from the driver's seat may be a deal breaker for me. The A-pillar is wider, more steeply raked, and nearer to the driver than any other vehicle I've owned, including a Porsche 911. The resulting blind spot was very noticeable, and worrying, whenever I turned left. I was constantly readjusting my head to ensure that I wasn't endangering a pedestrian or cyclist.

On another matter, although I live in California, I often drive in Colorado and Utah, where snowplow deposit grit on roads, and mining trucks often shed small stones. On 3 occasions I've had my windshield broken, and I'm assuming that replacing a windshield on the Air would be a very expensive and time-consuming.

Anyone else share either of these 2 concerns?

Thanks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I haven't had my test drive yet so I can't comment on your first point. On the second point, unless you are planning on replacing the windshield yourself, how much more time consuming can it be? I have a HUD on my current car and when I had to replace the windshield (here in Arizona we get lots of rocks thrown off trucks) that is a far more complex replacement process than the Lucid windshield.

·
Registered
Lucid Grand Touring 2022
15 Posts
I also had significant concerns about the windshield , as I live in Idaho and we have lots of terrible weather and rocks flying into windshields. I thought about this issue incessantly for months.
I finally decided to forego the what if’s and not obsess over it anymore. It’s definitely a concern but it’s not a deal breaker.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I orrdered an Air Grand Touring in September 2020 and drove a Dream Edition for the first time yesterday (Feb 13). It's a fantastic vehicle, but the poor visibility from the driver's seat may be a deal breaker for me. The A-pillar is wider, more steeply raked, and nearer to the driver than any other vehicle I've owned, including a Porsche 911. The resulting blind spot was very noticeable, and worrying, whenever I turned left. I was constantly readjusting my head to ensure that I wasn't endangering a pedestrian or cyclist.

On another matter, although I live in California, I often drive in Colorado and Utah, where snowplow deposit grit on roads, and mining trucks often shed small stones. On 3 occasions I've had my windshield broken, and I'm assuming that replacing a windshield on the Air would be a very expensive and time-consuming.

Anyone else share either of these 2 concerns?

Thanks.
Why do you have to use your head to turn back for visibility?

Why don't you use your eyes to see the side mirror and hear the alert when something is close to your vehicles? You can also activate Pilot screen view of your vehicle if concerned.

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Again the windshield glass is of different quality. I was told it is hardened glass made by Gorilla glass just like one you see on iPhone. Yes it could brake and that is why there is auto insurance which is more expensive for Tesla and Lucid.

Again it sounds sour grape to me.

It is like a wife asking for divorce because her husband doesn't laugh enough.

·
Registered
2022 Lucid Air Dream
11 Posts
The windows are small, and visibility is indeed difficult. Th A-pillar is pretty beefy, and creates blind spot. With the Dream, you need to learn to trust the cameras and alerts. It will take a while, as human nature is to turn your head, and look out the windows. My wife and I are getting better at the trust, but I'm sure over time, we'll get there. I grew up always turning my head before changing lanes, and for good reason. It's going to take a while to break that habit.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The windows are small, and visibility is indeed difficult. Th A-pillar is pretty beefy, and creates blind spot. With the Dream, you need to learn to trust the cameras and alerts. It will take a while, as human nature is to turn your head, and look out the windows. My wife and I are getting better at the trust, but I'm sure over time, we'll get there. I grew up always turning my head before changing lanes, and for good reason. It's going to take a while to break that habit.
I have Model S and Dream Edition both.

I disagree with your comment. Back windshield view is a lot wider in DE and more easily see what is behind compared to Tesla. I had to add small extra mirrors on Tesla side mirrors to have a better view on them when compared to Lucid.

Actually no one need to turn your head to actually see what is in the next lane. Side mirrors and lane changing alert is enough to drive safely. One has to get used to modern technology which is much safer and effective than turning one's head back and forth to look for traffic.

Sometime it may take some some to get used to modern technology and sometime it is hard to quit old habits, I do agree.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't think Lucid worries about any unreasonable comment and they are aware of most of the comments coming on Lucid forum.
Hmm! So they are trying to help people sync with the new technology and adapt the convenience that, probably at the moment, looks a bit troublesome. That's a great move but sometimes people may find it challenging, at least initially. No?

·
Registered
2 Posts
As far as rock chips, I worry also about that living in a mountain state with no salt on roads but they use small rocks in winter. I recently discovered windowshield PPF and this is a very convincing video. I intend to do this.

Anyone done this yet?

·
Registered
243 Posts
As far as rock chips, I worry also about that living in a mountain state with no salt on roads but they use small rocks in winter. I recently discovered windowshield PPF and this is a very convincing video. I intend to do this.

Anyone done this yet?
I've done it on a couple of my cars and a PPF wrap is definitely worth the investment. If you've got a steady hand you can do it yourself but I'm not one of those people lol. I prefer getting it done by professional.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts