Lucid Motors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am seeing a potential safety issue with current design. Want to see how everyone feels.

I just got my lucid air touring and have been trying for a few days. Car drives very well and comfortable. But I noticed that this car’s creep mode is very weak. You need to apply throttle at the right pressure to stop the rolling back even in D mode. Lucid says this is their design and car has no issue. If it is on a flat surface, creep will move in the direction of the gear selected. Based on my experience, Lucid’s creep mode can’t even handle regular drive way incline or normal slope. I am definitely not talking about a big slope or off-road kind of thing. Another problem is their brake hold does not kick in unless you stop from 11-12m per hour to stop. There is no way to enable brake hold by pressing brake pedal firmly either like Tesla. In a bumper to bumper traffic scenario or a slow start on a small slope, there is no brake hold.

The other day we were at a traffic intersection waiting for a red light. The road is not perfect flat with a small incline angle. When the light turned green, we pressed throttle to release the brake hold, then car rolled backward until we pressed more on throttle. Phew! It was nerve wrecking. Based on Lucid’s current design, you need to immediately press throttle to prevent the rolling backward. I have owned Taycan and Tesla before . Their creep mode work very well and never roll back at this intersection which I travel many times in the neighbor hood.

Another scenario is stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic on highway or local. In this case,since speed is very low, brake hold will never kick in. Every time you want to move forward, you have to think how much pressure to apply on throttle and you need to switch your foot from brake pedal to throttle pedal very fast! Otherwise, car may roll back if you are on a small slope. This is definitely very stressful when the incline is larger. Tesla and my Taycan both do not roll back this bad with creep mode. Lucid insists this is their design which is different from other brands. But this design is not safe in my opinion. I would think they need to fix the creep mode to handle small incline better like drive way at home and small up and down on day to day drive. When more cars are sold and on the road, someone may potentially run into accident. Someone may argue we just need to get used to it. This may be a way. But we are buying this expensive car which should improve or be in parity with other brands in terms of safety (if not better) and driving experience. This constant pedal switch between brake and throttle is like driving a manual shift car.

what do you folks think and how do you handle this? I have seen a few posts in the past talking about this. Now, I have my car and I realized that this is a pretty concerned problem.

· Registered
10 Posts
Hi All, I am seeing a potential safety issue with current design. Want to see how everyone feels. I just got my lucid air touring and have been trying for a few days. Car drives very well and comfortable. But I noticed that this car’s creep mode is very weak. You need to apply throttle at the right pressure to stop the rolling back even in D mode. Lucid says this is their design and car has no issue. If it is on a flat surface, creep will move in the direction of the gear selected. Based on my experience, Lucid’s creep mode can’t even handle regular drive way incline or normal slope. I am definitely not talking about a big slope or off-road kind of thing. Another problem is their brake hold does not kick in unless you stop from 11-12m per hour to stop. There is no way to enable brake hold by pressing brake pedal firmly either like Tesla. In a bumper to bumper traffic scenario or a slow start on a small slope, there is no brake hold. The other day we were at a traffic intersection waiting for a red light. The road is not perfect flat with a small incline angle. When the light turned green, we pressed throttle to release the brake hold, then car rolled backward until we pressed more on throttle. Phew! It was nerve wrecking. Based on Lucid’s current design, you need to immediately press throttle to prevent the rolling backward. I have owned Taycan and Tesla before . Their creep mode work very well and never roll back at this intersection which I travel many times in the neighbor hood. Another scenario is stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic on highway or local. In this case,since speed is very low, brake hold will never kick in. Every time you want to move forward, you have to think how much pressure to apply on throttle and you need to switch your foot from brake pedal to throttle pedal very fast! Otherwise, car may roll back if you are on a small slope. This is definitely very stressful when the incline is larger. Tesla and my Taycan both do not roll back this bad with creep mode. Lucid insists this is their design which is different from other brands. But this design is not safe in my opinion. I would think they need to fix the creep mode to handle small incline better like drive way at home and small up and down on day to day drive. When more cars are sold and on the road, someone may potentially run into accident. Someone may argue we just need to get used to it. This may be a way. But we are buying this expensive car which should improve or be in parity with other brands in terms of safety (if not better) and driving experience. This constant pedal switch between brake and throttle is like driving a manual shift car. what do you folks think and how do you handle this? I have seen a few posts in the past talking about this. Now, I have my car and I realized that this is a pretty concerned problem.
I agree, this happen to me as well at an intersection, so I just took it off creep mode until hopefully the issue gets fixed. I just received my touring as well and love the car. However my biggest issue is my mobile key or key fob keep unsyncing. I was locked inside of the car while in my garage and couldn't get out. I had both my mobile key and key fob with me. I had to honk the horn and my husband used his key card to unlock the door. Another time, my husband was locked in the car at the airport. Thankfully i turned around and saw him still sitting there. He had his key fob on him but the car would not go into drive. It didn't even ask for a pin number. I ran back to the car and was able to unlock the doors. I'm out of town right now but when I return I am following up with lucid to please fix these issues.

· Registered
18 Posts
I had another problem with my Lucid in that the car just stop working. Luckily for me it was in a safe area. Someone on this forum said it happen to him on the highway. He was lucky nothing serious happen

The last update supposedly fixed the issues of back roll. It hasn’t. Lucid engineers have to spend time making these cars safe or they will have to face regulators forcing them to do the right thing.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Met with their mobile technician and submitted my feedback to improve the ‘power’/hold capability in creep mode. Hope their management will review this and address this issue. For now, they asked me to turn off creep mode to avoid the back rolling. But we are losing all the convenience in manuvering in and out of a tight space.

· Registered
21 Posts
I agree the whole idea of creep mode is to make the car behave as an ICE vehicle other wise why have it. The car being in a free roll is dangerous and someone will get injured
Completely agree all. As the 4 day proud owner of a Touring model I was so very lucky not to roll backwards into a vehicle behind me while in Creep Mode. It scared the heck out of us all, including the driver behind me I am sure. Creep Mode should turn the driving into the same as if you had an automatic transmission of an ICE vehicle. Kind of like training wheels for brand new EV owners.

· Registered
28 Posts
Hi All,

I am seeing a potential safety issue with current design. Want to see how everyone feels.

I just got my lucid air touring and have been trying for a few days. Car drives very well and comfortable. But I noticed that this car’s creep mode is very weak. You need to apply throttle at the right pressure to stop the rolling back even in D mode. Lucid says this is their design and car has no issue. If it is on a flat surface, creep will move in the direction of the gear selected. Based on my experience, Lucid’s creep mode can’t even handle regular drive way incline or normal slope. I am definitely not talking about a big slope or off-road kind of thing. Another problem is their brake hold does not kick in unless you stop from 11-12m per hour to stop. There is no way to enable brake hold by pressing brake pedal firmly either like Tesla. In a bumper to bumper traffic scenario or a slow start on a small slope, there is no brake hold.

The other day we were at a traffic intersection waiting for a red light. The road is not perfect flat with a small incline angle. When the light turned green, we pressed throttle to release the brake hold, then car rolled backward until we pressed more on throttle. Phew! It was nerve wrecking. Based on Lucid’s current design, you need to immediately press throttle to prevent the rolling backward. I have owned Taycan and Tesla before . Their creep mode work very well and never roll back at this intersection which I travel many times in the neighbor hood.

Another scenario is stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic on highway or local. In this case,since speed is very low, brake hold will never kick in. Every time you want to move forward, you have to think how much pressure to apply on throttle and you need to switch your foot from brake pedal to throttle pedal very fast! Otherwise, car may roll back if you are on a small slope. This is definitely very stressful when the incline is larger. Tesla and my Taycan both do not roll back this bad with creep mode. Lucid insists this is their design which is different from other brands. But this design is not safe in my opinion. I would think they need to fix the creep mode to handle small incline better like drive way at home and small up and down on day to day drive. When more cars are sold and on the road, someone may potentially run into accident. Someone may argue we just need to get used to it. This may be a way. But we are buying this expensive car which should improve or be in parity with other brands in terms of safety (if not better) and driving experience. This constant pedal switch between brake and throttle is like driving a manual shift car.

what do you folks think and how do you handle this? I have seen a few posts in the past talking about this. Now, I have my car and I realized that this is a pretty concerned problem.
I think you have to turn on your regenerative breaking. My guess is your one-foot driving is off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts