Lucid Motors Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a reservation for an Air Pure as my wife's next car. She has never driven an electric car and still has reservations about getting one.

So we are going to rent a Lucid in LA and drive it up the coast to Monterey and back. We'll take four days, so she'll have lots of time to take in the Lucid experience. We are both in our 70s, so she wants a comfortable, quiet ride with good handling. She's not overly concerned about performance, though who doesn't like great acceleration when merging onto a Hiway 馃榿

So, any suggestions for the trip - places to stop, charging locations, good side roads to try out the Lucid handling, good restaurants, etc.

Thanks in advance. Really looking forward to seeing the California coast again.

Registered
We have a reservation for an Air Pure as my wife's next car. She has never driven an electric car and still has reservations about getting one.

So we are going to rent a Lucid in LA and drive it up the coast to Monterey and back. We'll take four days, so she'll have lots of time to take in the Lucid experience. We are both in our 70s, so she wants a comfortable, quiet ride with good handling. She's not overly concerned about performance, though who doesn't like great acceleration when merging onto a Hiway 馃榿

So, any suggestions for the trip - places to stop, charging locations, good side roads to try out the Lucid handling, good restaurants, etc.

Good morning Michael,

I made the seaside trip from the Seattle area to San Diego last January, sadly without the Lucid as I hadn't taken possession yet but I can recommend a couple of excellent and reasonably priced, in my opinion, stops along the way. Sadly Rte 1 from San Luis Obispo to Carmel looks closed due to weather and slide concerns. That's really too bad but maybe that's a good thing given your wife's inexperience with the EV. The lucid does handle exceptionally well though.

But if you can work out the charging stations along the way, I recommend stays in Moro Bay and Carmel.

The "Inn at Moro Bay" has nice rooms. My partner booked rooms off the water front on line because it appeared the water front rooms were priced quite high. When we arrived, we found the place practically empty and she negotiated a waterside room with a fireplace for $50 more. If they haven't reflected that in their on line pricing you might try that strategy. Rooms were clean and roomy enough. Do have breakfast at Dorn's Breakers Cafe. Delicious with great harbor views. A delightful couple we met at the restaurant last year told us they met Sam Elliot at the hotel and he recommended Dorn's to them. It didn't disappoint,

In Carmel, there is a small collection of nicely sized rooms at the "Vendange Carmel Inn Suites." There is a pleasant courtyard with attractive landscaping winding through the collection of suites. Rooms are spacious and it is a mere 8 or so block walk into town, It was surprisingly affordable for our stay; we arrived at the start of the ProAm golf tournament. Again, a breakfast recommendation: The Village Corner California Bistro. Right on the corner with indoor and outdoor seating. I believe it's at Dolores and 6th. From there it's a pleasant walkabout town for an after dining tour.

If you are truly interested in the Lucid, make sure you get your wife plenty of "behind the wheel" exposure. It does take some adjustment, imagine driving a very spirited electric golf cart for acceleration and braking similarity, I rarely tap the brake pedal and it pays huge dividends in miles per kilowatt. I average between 3.9 and 4.1 on trips with my GT on 19" wheels. I notice many other folks complain that they don't approach this figure. A hint, maybe a little more difficult in Southern California than up here in the PNW is to open up your following distance a bit. It allows you to take maximum advantage of regenerative breaking and makes for a much smoother ride for your passenger. My partner is very prone to motion sickness and this strategy keeps her quite comfortable.

I have the 500 mile range vehicle but as I am about your age, we enjoy regular coffee stops, so I plan them at charging stations whenever possible. I usually stop every 2-3 hours or so. Nice casual rides and absolutely no range anxiety; also keeps my passenger happy. Ain't retirement great!

Enjoy the trip. We may cross paths as I'm headed down to San Diego again this year next week to see my grand kids.

DC

Registered
Congrats on the coming new ride! I have had my Touring for 3 weeks now and absolutely love it. Definitely takes getting used to the EV acceleration pedal braking when you let off (it slows much faster and stops as compared to an ICE which coasts to a slow speed). Assuming the road is open--Hearst Castle in San Simeon and the nearby sea lion overlook are absolutely must do's if you have never been. Have fun!

Registered
I bought the GT for me, as my wife loved her small SUV. Roll the video tape forward-We鈥檝e sold her Q3 and share the Lucid, lol. She was very skeptical and a bit afraid to drive it, but has grown to love it! She doesn鈥檛 even miss the SUV now.
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the GT.
What other EVs were you considering before going for the Air?

Registered
I bought the GT for me, as my wife loved her small SUV. Roll the video tape forward-We鈥檝e sold her Q3 and share the Lucid, lol. She was very skeptical and a bit afraid to drive it, but has grown to love it! She doesn鈥檛 even miss the SUV now.
Congrats on getting your Air GT @michaelcochran718! What have you and your wife enjoyed about the Air so far since you picked it up?

Registered
Good morning Michael,

I made the seaside trip from the Seattle area to San Diego last January, sadly without the Lucid as I hadn't taken possession yet but I can recommend a couple of excellent and reasonably priced, in my opinion, stops along the way. Sadly Rte 1 from San Luis Obispo to Carmel looks closed due to weather and slide concerns. That's really too bad but maybe that's a good thing given your wife's inexperience with the EV. The lucid does handle exceptionally well though.

But if you can work out the charging stations along the way, I recommend stays in Moro Bay and Carmel.

The "Inn at Moro Bay" has nice rooms. My partner booked rooms off the water front on line because it appeared the water front rooms were priced quite high. When we arrived, we found the place practically empty and she negotiated a waterside room with a fireplace for $50 more. If they haven't reflected that in their on line pricing you might try that strategy. Rooms were clean and roomy enough. Do have breakfast at Dorn's Breakers Cafe. Delicious with great harbor views. A delightful couple we met at the restaurant last year told us they met Sam Elliot at the hotel and he recommended Dorn's to them. It didn't disappoint,

In Carmel, there is a small collection of nicely sized rooms at the "Vendange Carmel Inn Suites." There is a pleasant courtyard with attractive landscaping winding through the collection of suites. Rooms are spacious and it is a mere 8 or so block walk into town, It was surprisingly affordable for our stay; we arrived at the start of the ProAm golf tournament. Again, a breakfast recommendation: The Village Corner California Bistro. Right on the corner with indoor and outdoor seating. I believe it's at Dolores and 6th. From there it's a pleasant walkabout town for an after dining tour.

If you are truly interested in the Lucid, make sure you get your wife plenty of "behind the wheel" exposure. It does take some adjustment, imagine driving a very spirited electric golf cart for acceleration and braking similarity, I rarely tap the brake pedal and it pays huge dividends in miles per kilowatt. I average between 3.9 and 4.1 on trips with my GT on 19" wheels. I notice many other folks complain that they don't approach this figure. A hint, maybe a little more difficult in Southern California than up here in the PNW is to open up your following distance a bit. It allows you to take maximum advantage of regenerative breaking and makes for a much smoother ride for your passenger. My partner is very prone to motion sickness and this strategy keeps her quite comfortable.

I have the 500 mile range vehicle but as I am about your age, we enjoy regular coffee stops, so I plan them at charging stations whenever possible. I usually stop every 2-3 hours or so. Nice casual rides and absolutely no range anxiety; also keeps my passenger happy. Ain't retirement great!

Enjoy the trip. We may cross paths as I'm headed down to San Diego again this year next week to see my grand kids.

DC
Are you planning on doing that San Diego-Seattle trip in your Air sometime in the future @dcrinklaw?

Registered
Are you planning on doing that San Diego-Seattle trip in your Air sometime in the future @dcrinklaw?
I am on the fence on that decision. We have to take half a dozen boxes of stuff down to my daughter. That might require us to leave some essentials home. We will probably end up taking the wife鈥檚 hybrid suv. It鈥檒l also help us even out the usage. We rely on the lucid a lot around here.

Registered
22 Lucid Air GT

KSURFER,,
Congrats on your Pure order. I received my Air GT in August and promptly did a round trip drive from San Diego to Napa. Unlike your wife, my wife has been driving EV-Hybrids and 100% EV since 2015. For my wife, the conversion was slow, which is not unexpected because we have habits that are difficult to change. I made sure that we had a level 2 home charger installed at home to get her in the habit of charging the car after parking in the garage. It also took about 3 months before she was comfortable using the EV cell phone app ( Tesla app) to plan her drive with consideration of the amount of range needed to get where she intends to go and how to ( without anxiety) find a charging station. After she mastered this, she would not even consider driving (or buying) another gasoline powered car. In fact, she was aghast after I asked to her to fill-up my Porsche 911. She has not been to a gas station in 3-4 years, and she does not miss it!

My trip. We fully charged in LA at a Electrify America (EA) station. There are others ( i.e. EVGo, Chargepoint, Blink......), but EA is the fastest on the market. Lucid batteries are large and to increase your convenience, a fast charger is best. I would download the EA app to your cell phone to help you locate the EA charging stations up and down the state of California. Look for those charges with CCS 150kW and 350kW connections. Depending on the amount charge needed, it may take 30 to 90 mins to completely charge the car. Please map out your stops with charging stations. Plan to get something to eat, shop, drink a cup of coffee to pass the time while charging. Expect to get a lot of questions about the car, it draws a lot of attention! Be mindful, EA charging stations, especially in Southern. Cal, can be unreliable. EA has (or had) a history to indicate on the EA app that a charger connection is available only to find that the connection was not functional. The Northern Cal EA stations appeared to be more reliable.

I found to maximize my range, I used the Adaptive Cruise Control or Highway Assist (part of the Dream Drive feature). The Air's computer will maximize range efficiency.

Lastly, try not to drive behind Semi trucks. They tend to fling rocks behind on the road which will crack the front window. The Pure does not have the glass roof like the Touring and GT. I was informed by a Lucid service tech that the front/roof glass is $10,000 replacement.

Enjoy your trip!

vhillmd

1 - 15 of 15 Posts