Lucid Motors Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
No invite here. However, the mention of deliveries across the country this weekend is interesting. My financial advisor got a call on November 2 that his car was in production, and he was given his VIN later last week. He received a call early this week that his car would be delivered to him in Florida tomorrow. I'm wondering if they are delivering cars in timed batches.

Unfortunately, my advisor can't take delivery this weekend. He lives in Albany, New York but wanted the car delivered to his Florida vacation home where he intends to garage it. He was not given enough notice to get down here for this weekend, so he will be taking delivery one week later on November 20.

I have been told my car (Zenith Red) is finally in production but that the VIN has not yet been assigned to it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
great to hear that your Dream is in production!
Just to clarify . . . I didn't get a call. I found this out when I called. My Delivery Advisor stressed that the car was in "the early stages of production", whatever that means. I'm not going to get too excited until I get the VIN, which my financial advisor got just over a week before his scheduled delivery date.

·
Registered
305 Posts
No invite was sent, at least not in that format. I'll post some pics from the event if I'm allowed. Was told I would have to sign some waivers when I get there.
Congratulations on getting your car tomorrow! Short of violating any NDA, I hope you're willing to weather our barrage of questions about the car.

Were you told anything about the waivers? My Delivery Advisor told me that I would have to sign some papers when I get the VIN, but she didn't specify what. I know that Lucid is requiring a waiver to take delivery of a car without the front license plate holder. Did you by any chance ask not to have the front holder mounted on your car?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm confused. A video was posted that was taken at a Delivery Event today at the Lucid Design Studio in West Palm Beach, FL, very similar to the October 30 event in Case Grande.

I live in Florida, and my Delivery Advisor told me that my delivery would have to be to my home as Florida has not yet issued a dealer license to Lucid. I asked whether there was any way I could go to Miami or West Palm to pick up the car at a Studio, thinking that there would be someone on hand to orient us to the car and its controls. She said that was not an option but that I would be given an orientation to the car at my home.

Yet this video seems to show Airs being delivered at a Design Studio. (I've been to that Studio, and that is definitely where this event occurred):

I continue to be baffled by how much contradictory information comes from the Sales and Delivery teams at Lucid.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Perhaps things have changed since your original discussion about delivery with your sales advisor.
Could be. However, I talked to her two days ago, and she seemed anxious to give me any good news she could. For example, without my asking, she brought up that she was remembering to be sure my car had no front license plate holder put on it. Yet she made no mention that I would now have a choice about where to take delivery.

It's not really that big a deal to me where I take delivery. My core concern is whether Lucid is improving the situation with providing its sales and service people with information that is of legitimate concern to customers -- something that has been their weakest suit thus far.

·
Registered
305 Posts
This makes me wonder if they're actually going to start with the red GTs, as the paint shop will already be set up with the red paint.
If the reservation tracker on this forum is any indication, Zenith Red will be one of the two most popular colors (along with Quantum Gray), so I could see the sense in running a production batch of reds as soon as possible in order to get early sales numbers up.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Looks like 8 delivered in the Chicago area:

And at least one to someone's home in Florida:
Not a Zenith Red in sight at any of these 4 delivery events (Casa Grande, West Palm Beach, Chicago, Florida home) despite Zenith Red's popularity on this forum's reservation tracker.

It seems almost certain they ran Zenith Red only at the end of the Dream production run. However, I also wonder how many Dream customers knew about the addition of Zenith Red to the color roster for the Dream. It was only added to the order configurator shortly before order confirmations opened up, and neither my sales rep nor delivery advisor brought up its availability before I confirmed my order. I caught the change only because I had been given a heads up from someone else at Lucid several weeks earlier, and I was watching for it. I'm not saying the change could not be found on the website, just that it wasn't made very prominent.

Oh, well. Maybe I'll end up with the rarest of the rare Dream Editions -- a Zenith Red one.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Illinois requires front license plates, but I see that none of the cars delivered in Chicago have front plates. As none of the cars at any Delivery Event so far have front license plates, I asked my Delivery Advisor whether all the Dream customers were opting out of them. She said it was a "mixed bag". I assume that means the front holder won't be installed until after delivery for those who want it?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I don't know if the statement was accurate but someone stated that the crash test rating was with the holder, so you had to waive it regardless. Can this be confirmed?
You might be referring to a post I put up when this discussion started. I mentioned that the new Tesla Model S is delivered with a front license plate holder because it got its crash test ratings with the holder installed. However, since the holder is now mandatory for a Tesla buyer (it used to be a delete option), it is attached with adhesive foam tape so that it can be removed by the owner without leaving any trace on the car. In that early post, I was questioning whether the Lucid front holder would be mounted the same way for the same reason.

We have since found out that Lucid will deliver the car without a front holder at the buyer's request, as long as the buyer will sign a waiver. As I've not seen the waiver, I don't know whether it just covers the issue of state requirements for front license plates or whether it extends to cover other issues, such as crash test ratings.

·
Registered
305 Posts
When I used to live in Chicago and bought cars there, the dealers registered my cars to my Florida home whenever I requested. Of course, there was so much cross-residency between Chicago and Florida that the business offices at the dealers were set up for it.

It may be that Lucid has to have a dealer license in Indiana to register a car in Indiana. In any case, if you are just transferring the title to another state for a car you already own, you shouldn't have to pay sales tax a second time. Twice I re-registered existing Illinois cars to my Florida residence, and no sales tax was imposed. The issue might be more that California sales tax might be higher than Indiana sales tax.

Maybe the Indiana DMV can walk you through what is involved in this situation?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Just got a call from my financial advisor whose black Dream Performance was delivered in the last hour in Orlando. He had never seen the car in the metal and was blown away by how beautiful it is, inside and out. He hasn't taken it on the road yet but is going to call again after he does.

He said a well-informed Lucid attendant arrived with the transport driver to orient him to the car. Here are a few bits of information about the experience:

- They could not get the driver profile set up. The attendant said the problem was at Lucid's end and not in the car, and he is going to call in a couple of hours with further information/assistance.

- Most of the ADAS functions are not yet active.

- The first production batch contained only black, white, and gold cars. Red cars are being produced in the second batch which is "2-3 weeks out".

- When pre-delivery information was being collected, he was asked if he wanted vanity plates, which Lucid will arrange.

- He and his wife are very short, and he found that reaching the front door armrest to close the door without hitting his head on the roof rail was tricky. He hasn't yet tried the back seat. When the attendant calls back about setting the driver profile, he's going to ask him if he's heard anything to substantiate the rumor that the cars have the motors installed for power door operation which will be activated later.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm going to have a problem regardless, I'm currently driving a Toyota Tundra. You can practically get in standing up, :LOL:
It's the same way with our Honda Odyssey -- a tall cabin, but combined with a low step-in height. It's the perfect vehicle for us geriatric road warriors. An Odyssey body on a Lucid platform would be the perfect vehicle.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I just got an update from my friend in Orlando whose Dream Performance was delivered yesterday. I was surprised to find he hasn't put it on the road yet. He said that, while the car is drivable, he's been so tied up with Lucid in trying to resolve the issue with the driver profile that he's had no time to try the car out.

At least it seems that Lucid is working hard to get the problem resolved. But it's reinforcing my suspicion that UI software issues are going to be common and take some time in fixing with many of the early deliveries.

Having seen a less-than-ideal rollout of Tesla software on our Plaid, I hope it has blessed me with the tolerance to ride this out with Lucid without my head exploding.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts