Lucid Motors Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
A question for anyone who has used the Electrify America network . . .

A friend who's had his VW ID.4 for several months tried out the Electrify America network this morning for the first time. His car came with 3 years of complimentary charging and was set up at delivery for "plug and charge". He kept getting a message that "payment not accepted" and had to call the EA help number. They said their system was showing he still has over two and a half years of free charging, and it was not clear why it was not working. They walked him through a bunch of resets and, after about 20 minutes of this, he was finally able to commence charging. Thank goodness it was not raining.

Has anyone had trouble using EA with their Lucid? I saw an interview of Ford's VP of Electrification with Tom Moloughney, and the Ford official said there have been so many issues with Mach-E owners encountering similar problems that Ford has set up a special team to track this issue and stay in constant touch with EA to address problems where they crop up.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine worked right away like it was supposed to. My advisor said some other DE owners had an issue but one call to customer service got it fixed. So Lucid is aware there might be a problem but they already have a solution in place.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I wonder where this fails. The car handshake or the charger communicating with the payment network. I'm just wondering if the charger is using a cell signal vs. a hardwired land line. I know I have data issues on cell networks sometimes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an e-Tron and my experience with EA has been abysmal. The chargers are so unreliable and your car hardly every gets the speed advertised. Every charging stop up the I5 corridor in CA has issues from chargers not starting to delivering slow speeds. You either have play musical chairs by moving the car to multiple chargers to get one that works properly or constantly call EA to reset the charger and pray the reset fixes the issue. EA blames the car but using non EA chargers I get the max speed the charger can deliver albeit slower because EA are the only ones with the majority of chargers over 100Kw.

Issue 1 seems to be the activation and I suspect it's trying to phone home on some crappy dial up connection or wireless LTE signal and due to poor coverage etc. it can't verify the payment and won't start. Issue 2 seems to be the speed and on that front I suspect the cables can't keep cool so the speed gets slowed down to a crawl. All the chargers on the I5 are out in the open and most locations in the blistering heat. I actually burnt my hand on a charging plug when connecting it to the car due to it being 110 outside and no shelter over the chargers.

Lucid may be able to get 300Kw+ but I suspect EA chargers are going to kill any hope of getting those speeds for a long period of time and will drastically slow down.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I guess the good thing for me is, the only time after I get back home from California I'll be using the EA network is if I drive to Atlanta. Topped up I should be able to leave home drive to Chicago, drive around all weekend and back to Indianapolis on a single charge. Well, maybe not the first trip since everyone in family is going to want to "launch."

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have an e-Tron and my experience with EA has been abysmal. The chargers are so unreliable and your car hardly every gets the speed advertised. Every charging stop up the I5 corridor in CA has issues from chargers not starting to delivering slow speeds. You either have play musical chairs by moving the car to multiple chargers to get one that works properly or constantly call EA to reset the charger and pray the reset fixes the issue. EA blames the car but using non EA chargers I get the max speed the charger can deliver albeit slower because EA are the only ones with the majority of chargers over 100Kw.

Issue 1 seems to be the activation and I suspect it's trying to phone home on some crappy dial up connection or wireless LTE signal and due to poor coverage etc. it can't verify the payment and won't start. Issue 2 seems to be the speed and on that front I suspect the cables can't keep cool so the speed gets slowed down to a crawl. All the chargers on the I5 are out in the open and most locations in the blistering heat. I actually burnt my hand on a charging plug when connecting it to the car due to it being 110 outside and no shelter over the chargers.

Lucid may be able to get 300Kw+ but I suspect EA chargers are going to kill any hope of getting those speeds for a long period of time and will drastically slow down.
16min to 250 miles sounds good to me. It will have to be 3-4 times longer on my X with Tesla Super Charging.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Tom Moloughney wrote an article for "InsideEVs" giving more information on Lucid charging than he put in his video of the 0-100% charging session.

In this article he explains why the Lucid required 134 kWh to refill the battery pack. Even more interestingly, he said that Lucid told him the Dream Edition makes the entire pack capacity accessible to the user -- in other words, no buffers. This is the first I've heard of any EV manufacturer doing this.

This might support the suspicion I've expressed earlier that the difference in the GT 112-kWh pack and the Dream 118-kWh pack might be in the size of the buffers in addition to any differences between the Dream Samsung cells and the LG Chem Dream cells. It'll be interesting to find out how much of the GT pack gross capacity is accessible to the user.

I'm also curious whether there is something about the Samsung chemistry that makes it less damaging to tap into the battery's upper and lower charge limits?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts